Not eating

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello,

Posting on this thread again... Last Sunday, my cat, Hobbes, was vomiting all day, and again on Monday. I was able to see the vet on Tuesday. He did blood tests for various things. Everything came back normal. He was very out of it on Wednesday. However, today (Friday) and yesterday, he was back to his usual self: very playful, running around, chatty, etc. However, I noticed he's not eating, especially today. I tried bone broth, wet food, dry food, treats on top of the wet food... but nothing. I gave him a treat by hand and he took that. Then, I tried feeding him his wet food by hand, and he ate it. He took a few bites from the plate afterwards, but still needed some encouragement.

He is pooping and peeing. Energy levels are normal. He doesn't seem to be in pain. No vomiting or diarrhea. His blood tests came back normal... I'm just not sure what's going on! My vet is closed on weekends, so I can't call right now. I'm not sure if it's enough of a concern to go elsewhere instead of waiting for Monday. At least, for now, considering he seems fine and is taking some bites of food.

Wondering if anyone has any thoughts about this? I'm just very confused and concerned.

Also, he's only 1 year old and is indoor only. We do not have any other animals.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried different varieties of wet food? Plain meat baby food? You can switch wet food much easier than dry food. Dry food has to be a more gradual transition.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The office may be closed but there's an after hours voicemail message with info on who to call for emergencies. Just an FYI :)

Are there any urgent pet care clinics in your area? Those are getting popular and are open on weekends. No appointment necessary but call to be sure.

Try the tips in this thread: Any Good Tips To Get Your Cats To Eat? Share Them Here!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I guess I would have to ask what blood tests were done, and even if they came back 'normal', did you take a look at the results yourself? A lot of times, normal does not mean normal - it just means that might be just slightly out of range.

Also, did the vet give him any kind of meds at all while he was in the office? Any other meds for you to take home?

If you can get him to eat a fair amount, and nothing else changes about his behavior, you might be able to get him through the weekend and place a call to your vet first thing when they open.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried different varieties of wet food? Plain meat baby food? You can switch wet food much easier than dry food. Dry food has to be a more gradual transition.
Yes, I've tried different wet food, but he didn't eat either (until I hand fed). Dry food is the same as usual. I don't have baby food on hand.. I might try to get some tomorrow when stores are open

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The office may be closed but there's an after hours voicemail message with info on who to call for emergencies. Just an FYI :)
Yes, I do have an emergency number! It just doesn't seem like an emergency. He is eating a little bit and nothing else seems wrong. He did just go and have a big of dry food too.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I guess I would have to ask what blood tests were done, and even if they came back 'normal', did you take a look at the results yourself? A lot of times, normal does not mean normal - it just means that might be just slightly out of range.

Also, did the vet give him any kind of meds at all while he was in the office? Any other meds for you to take home?

If you can get him to eat a fair amount, and nothing else changes about his behavior, you might be able to get him through the weekend and place a call to your vet first thing when they open.
I didn't see them myself. I was told there was slight indication of dehydration and stress, but that might just be from being sick. And, another thing was a bit high, but nothing for concern since the pancreatic test came back normal. I can probably ask the vet for more info.

He was given an anti-vomit medication and comfortan for pain on Tuesday by the vet.

He is eating a bit, so I might try and wait out the weekend and call in Monday morning. He is eating a bit, and I got him to drink water too

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
He was given an anti-vomit medication and comfortan for pain on Tuesday by the vet.
Unfortunately, if the anti-vomit was an injection, they typically only last 24 hours and need to be followed up with more of the same, via oral meds. Keep him eating, whatever you can, and keep an eye on him for other negative changes.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How is Hobbes (I am a big fan of that name!)? Do you have unflavored pedialyte on hand? His electrolytes might still be off kilter if he is dehydrated. Does he enjoy drinking from a fountain? I sometimes encourage a cat to drink by allowing the bathroom faucet a very slow drip into a wide dish but I don't recommend that unless you have good quality well water; municipal water often has harsh chemicals that are hard on the kidneys and bladder.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
How is Hobbes (I am a big fan of that name!)? Do you have unflavored pedialyte on hand? His electrolytes might still be off kilter if he is dehydrated. Does he enjoy drinking from a fountain? I sometimes encourage a cat to drink by allowing the bathroom faucet a very slow drip into a wide dish but I don't recommend that unless you have good quality well water; municipal water often has harsh chemicals that are hard on the kidneys and bladder.
I don't have pedialyte, unfortunately. He does drink from a water fountain, he has one set up. I also try adding some filtered water and broth to his food and he does drink it. He's eating a bit more but still not as much as he should... But, he seems to be doing okay. He's very energetic and everything else seems good. Hoping he'll be better soon, but definitely trying to keep him hydrated.

Streamextream

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I don't have pedialyte, unfortunately. He does drink from a water fountain, he has one set up. I also try adding some filtered water and broth to his food and he does drink it. He's eating a bit more but still not as much as he should... But, he seems to be doing okay. He's very energetic and everything else seems good. Hoping he'll be better soon, but definitely trying to keep him hydrated.
I am currently going through the same thing. My cat all of the sudden started eating poorly last week. But he hasn’t been vomiting. Just looking hungry eats two bites and walks away. He went for X-ray no blockage but is having ultrasound tomorrow. He is two years old. I am hand feeding him. He will eat a little and lap up some gravy in the food and walk away. Please let me know if you have any luck.

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I am currently going through the same thing. My cat all of the sudden started eating poorly last week. But he hasn’t been vomiting. Just looking hungry eats two bites and walks away. He went for X-ray no blockage but is having ultrasound tomorrow. He is two years old. I am hand feeding him. He will eat a little and lap up some gravy in the food and walk away. Please let me know if you have any luck.
I'm sorry to hear your cat is not doing well, I hope he's a bit better now! I finally got my cat to eat normally again. Honestly, it was just patience and giving him the foods he loves. That's a lot of tuna wet food, some freeze-dried treats, quail egg, chicken broth... Offered the food to him wherever he was, a bit of hand feeding. I also added extra water to his wet food to keep him hydrated. Leaving dry food for him to munch on whenever he wants. I think he probably was still feeling off from being sick, and he's doing better now.