Not eating and lethargic Cat

Grimm_kitty93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Let me start by saying I am taking my Cat to the Vet in the morning. My boy Jasper has stopped eating and is lethargic, and I am seeing his third eyelid in both eyes. Let me explain he is usually the first to beg for food at feeding time ( I have 5 cats) he loves to eat! By saying that I noticed yesterday he wasn't hungry and didn't want to eat. I gave him some wet and he seemed interested so I thought he might just want some wet food he ate a small amount then nothing so I left some kibble out for him thinking he might eat it when I leave. I usually never leave food out. I don't like free feeding. This morning's food was gone but the chance is the others ate it in the night. I fed him in the morning he didn't eat much but I had to leave for work so I couldn't tell if he ate or not. Tonight he hasn't eaten at all and I have noticed he seems lethargic and I can see his third eyelid in his eyes. He is also hiding under my bed which is very rare. He's usually on the window bench or at the foot of the bed. I haven't seen him use the litter box. And when cleaning all looked normal but not sure if he has used it. No accidents out of the litter box. All my other cats are just fine all acting normal. If anyone has any ideas just to give me some peace of mind until tomorrow that would be lovely.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww, I am so sorry to hear about Jasper not feeling well. I do not feel like I have any ideas or advice, as I am a semi-newbie myself, and I have not had this particular thing happen. But I just wanted to support you and say there are lots of great and knowledgable people here on the forums. Wishing you and Jasper a good night and a good vet report in the morning. :vibes::welcomesign:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It could be anything from an upper respiratory infection to an upset tummy. Has anything changed recently in your home? New people or new routine or even new food or litter?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Grimm_kitty93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Awww, I am so sorry to hear about Jasper not feeling well. I do not feel like I have any ideas or advice, as I am a semi-newbie myself, and I have not had this particular thing happen. But I just wanted to support you and say there are lots of great and knowledgable people here on the forums. Wishing you and Jasper a good night and a good vet report in the morning. :vibes::welcomesign:
Thank you for the support!

It could be anything from an upper respiratory infection to an upset tummy. Has anything changed recently in your home? New people or a new routine or even new food or litter?
Nothing new, no changes it seems to have come out of nowhere. Could it be heat stroke? He did outside once and it's been a heat wave here he wasn't out long and it was a couple of days ago.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He could've ingested something that didn't agree with him, but with the 3rd eyelid showing, sounds like an upper respiratory infection. He may not be eating because he can't smell his food.

Grimm_kitty93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So sorry for the late update this past week has been hectic. The vet determined he had an inflamed pancreas very close to being diabetic if not for the inflamed pancreas so he just needs to completely change his diet. Had to get a steroid shot another antibiotic shot and a lot of fluids multiple times just to carry him over until his medicine kicked in. He is now doing great just like normal complaining about the new diet but doing great otherwise.

CaseysMom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Great news!

I wonder why so many kitties are getting pancreatitis? Is it diet related? Diabetes?

Grimm_kitty93

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The vet said it was his diet no more kibble only feed wet can food. It is healthier for cats. Now all my kitties will be transitioning to can food.