Normal for cats eyes?

kmjones1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there- my kitten who is now about 10 months old has always sort of blinked her eye. I decided to look it up yesterday and it says it can be caused by an infection. It also said the 3rd eyelid should never been showing. Attaching a pic where my cats shows just a bit in the corners. Is this normal or should i take her into the vet? She’s been seen as recently as a month ago and they didn’t mention anything. I’m also a bad owner and can’t think if her eyes have always been this way. I can’t get her in until Thursday so hoping my mind can be eased until then!
7448BAC4-46C9-4D8F-9C36-0C590B43DAFF.jpeg
17861450-F05B-405D-AD5B-CBC4D6F2F98E.jpeg

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! You're not a bad owner. Can you send those pictures to your vet and see what they say?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sometimes the 3rd eyelid does sit a little further out for some cats as the normal resting point. If you aren't sure if that is the normal resting point, you can see your vet to be safe. Not a bad owner, and if she isn't showing signs of other problems (weeping eye, redness, trouble opening eyes, cloudy eye) I'd feel comfortable keeping an eye on it for a few days and/or mentioning it at her 1 year old check up.

You can see Rockets third eyelid in the below photo and that is her normal resting point. If she just woke up or is sleepy it will be out a little more, but neither position is of concern because it is her normal.

Screenshot_20200615-085408_Photos.jpg

Your cats does seem a little further out then I would like to see in my cats, but if she just woke up or is getting sleepy it could be fine. When people say the 3rd eye shouldn't be showing, the better saying should be the 3rd eyelid shouldn't be swollen, red or showing more than normal but a lot of people out there simply don't pay attention to notice it normally.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kmjones1991

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes the 3rd eyelid does sit a little further out for some cats as the normal resting point. If you aren't sure if that is the normal resting point, you can see your vet to be safe. Not a bad owner, and if she isn't showing signs of other problems (weeping eye, redness, trouble opening eyes, cloudy eye) I'd feel comfortable keeping an eye on it for a few days and/or mentioning it at her 1 year old check up.

You can see Rockets third eyelid in the below photo and that is her normal resting point. If she just woke up or is sleepy it will be out a little more, but neither position is of concern because it is her normal.

View attachment 339093

Your cats does seem a little further out then I would like to see in my cats, but if she just woke up or is getting sleepy it could be fine. When people say the 3rd eye shouldn't be showing, the better saying should be the 3rd eyelid shouldn't be swollen, red or showing more than normal but a lot of people out there simply don't pay attention to notice it normally.
Thanks so much for the info! After looking closely again, it does appear she has some redness in one of them.. so I will just take her in to be safe.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are seeing redness, I'd go in and Thursday should be fine. Just call your vet if it starts looking worse before then. I like to take photos in cases like this (minor visual things that you aren’t sure what is going on) so the vet can see progression over time in making a determination of next steps.