Non neutured male

DexterDean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have two male cats and they both are intact, from the same litter and are about 18 months old.

I keep thinking ooooh I need to get them neutured soon if I don't want them dying at the age of 7 years ect..

All I hear is "oh male cats pee stinks, male cats sprey everywhere, they have bad behaviour, the will roam and not cone back, they are loud and aggressive" well for anyone else who is sick of hearing that I can confirm my two intact males are the exsact opposite to all those comment which makes me mad as to me all these sources are talking utter nonsense (putting it nicely) my cats are more like dogs they respond to clicks, they snuggle and sprawl on me and my partner and are ridiculously affectionate and they are "real cats" they sleep during the day and stay out all night regardless of the weather they are out either hunting, exploring or having some fun with the spade female naibours cat who has threatened to keep our cats as they love them both,

So I do feel the urge to spayed my two boys only out of health benefits but you can also argue it has its own negative medical effects too and if my two boys behaviour changed I would feel like I just stole there happy affectionate, loving soles all to follow a old trend.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
I have two male cats and they both are intact, from the same litter and are about 18 months old.

I keep thinking ooooh I need to get them neutured soon if I don't want them dying at the age of 7 years ect..

All I hear is "oh male cats pee stinks, male cats sprey everywhere, they have bad behaviour, the will roam and not cone back, they are loud and aggressive" well for anyone else who is sick of hearing that I can confirm my two intact males are the exsact opposite to all those comment which makes me mad as to me all these sources are talking utter nonsense (putting it nicely) my cats are more like dogs they respond to clicks, they snuggle and sprawl on me and my partner and are ridiculously affectionate and they are "real cats" they sleep during the day and stay out all night regardless of the weather they are out either hunting, exploring or having some fun with the spade female naibours cat who has threatened to keep our cats as they love them both,

So I do feel the urge to spayed my two boys only out of health benefits but you can also argue it has its own negative medical effects too and if my two boys behaviour changed I would feel like I just stole there happy affectionate, loving soles all to follow a old trend.
Hi and welcome to TCS! Awesome to hear you aren't have the 'usual' issues! Most unneutered cats do spray and it stinks. You say you let them go out at night and that means they can be increasing the cat population that is already overwhelming!
You are not stealing anything from them and they will be just fine, please try to get them neutered asap.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. As TCS is a pro-spay/neuter site, people here, myself included, will probably post advising you to go with your initial plan to get them neutered.

So far you are lucky that they have not developed any unfavourable traits, but that may be because they are still young. As they get older, the odds become greater that they will become territorial and possibly even with each other, and search out unspayed females. They also may start to spray around your home, which can be difficult to stop once it's begun..

Here's the TCS article on Why You Should Spay And Neuter Your Cats | TheCatSite
and Spaying And Neutering – What To Ask Before The Surgery – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

DexterDean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome to TCS! Awesome to hear you aren't have the 'usual' issues! Most unneutered cats do spray and it stinks. You say you let them go out at night and that means they can be increasing the cat population that is already overwhelming!
You are not stealing anything from them and they will be just fine, please try to get them neutered asap.
That unfortunately is the same generic response that caused me to post here, how do you know for sure this is the case? For one I live in the countryside and there is feilds and forests as far as the eye can see so please start to think about what harm your comments may cause and remember you cant paint everything with the same brush (dont get me wrong its easy to put everything in the one basket an say it works) but it doesn't!

DexterDean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And also I apologise i didn't know everyone here agrees to having the cat neutered otherwise I wouldn't of walked into this proverbial wall

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
That unfortunately is the same generic response that caused me to post here, how do you know for sure this is the case? For one I live in the countryside and there is feilds and forests as far as the eye can see so please start to think about what harm your comments may cause and remember you cant paint everything with the same brush (dont get me wrong its easy to put everything in the one basket an say it works) but it doesn't!
I understand and I'm not one for the same brush stroke, but I also know that the reason this is true is because it is hormones. The reason it's so generic or common is because it's the way it is. Also, as I stated letting your unneutered cats roam can be increasing the cat population and in the future they will become more territorial and more susceptible to fights.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
And also I apologise i didn't know everyone here agrees to having the cat neutered otherwise I wouldn't of walked into this proverbial wall
I'm not sure I understand what you were looking for as you stated you planned on neutering them 🤷‍♀️

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise

Thank you for keeping them intact for as long as possible, I think many people have their cats spayed and neutered way too early.

Yes they will begin to mark their territory, (your house) and they will also begin to yowl at the door if they sense that a lady cat is out there. In other words, they will become obnoxious. You do not want to let them outside because it will contribute to the unwanted kitten problem. I would suggest getting them neutered at this point. It will not change their personalities. :)

DexterDean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I was hoping to hear pros and cons not just cons by not neutering, so I could judge my situation properly and not just following a long line of people who by the sounds of it have not been "lucky" and so get them the chop, its interesting that you speak of the hormone side but what garuntee can you give that by removing the testies that the lack of hormones will not have an effect on the current cherished behaviours?

DexterDean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for keeping them intact for as long as possible, I think many people have their cats spayed and neutered way too early.

Yes they will begin to mark their territory, (your house) and they will also begin to yowl at the door if they sense that a lady cat is out there. In other words, they will become obnoxious. You do not want to let them outside because it will contribute to the unwanted kitten problem. I would suggest getting them neutered at this point. It will not change their personalities. :)
I believe I'm in a great position as they already have a female that is spayed not far from here and the owners are aware and allow my cats to... enjoy each others companionship other than that with being in the countryside there is not much out there bar forests, feilds ect so if they do come across another female its 1 female compared to a city cat that could cause massive issues also going along with presumptions im presuming the "other cat" is spayed, all im saying is there is a lot of presumptions and guessing but im not seeing any of these traits quite the opposite but I guess I should make a new post in a years time to test peoples theory's on the matter as I think I should try everything before doing the unreversable and potentially changing the cats i currently have.

Again I appologise as I was not aware this was pro neutering and may have made a mistake posting my thoughts hear as I was hoping for non bias opinions on both neutering and not neutering but I think every reply starts with "pro neutering" lol so im of to a bad start but I still appreciate your views on this and for sharing thanks.

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
I believe I'm in a great position as they already have a female that is spayed not far from here and the owners are aware and allow my cats to... enjoy each others companionship other than that with being in the countryside there is not much out there bar forests, feilds ect so if they do come across another female its 1 female compared to a city cat that could cause massive issues also going along with presumptions im presuming the "other cat" is spayed, all im saying is there is a lot of presumptions and guessing but im not seeing any of these traits quite the opposite but I guess I should make a new post in a years time to test peoples theory's on the matter as I think I should try everything before doing the unreversable and potentially changing the cats i currently have.

Again I appologise as I was not aware this was pro neutering and may have made a mistake posting my thoughts hear as I was hoping for non bias opinions on both neutering and not neutering but I think every reply starts with "pro neutering" lol so im of to a bad start but I still appreciate your views on this and for sharing thanks.

Its pro-neutering because so many people on this site dedicate their time in catching and re-homing feral cats and kittens. I know the Humane Society can get up to seventy litters of kittens a day during the summer months.

I am not anti-neutering but I do think it is done way too early and I think you should keep your cat intact for as long as possible, at least until you can't stand him one more minute. However, just be careful about letting them roam outdoors for they will find a unfixed female- somewhere. That's just nature.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a person wants to keep an intact male indoors, and won't dump or kill him if he gets obnoxious, I have no objection to leaving a cat unneutered! But letting them run loose while unneutered does lead to the birth of more unwanted cats. . .there are always stray cats somewhere nearby, unless you live on a small island.

But, yes, as they get older they probably will get more hormonal, which may lead to behavioral issues such as excessive wandering (gotta find the unspayed ladies!) and spraying. Cats usually reach social maturity around age 3, so that's when the tomcat behaviors often really take off, although I've heard of breeding toms starting behaviors even older than that so you just never know what the future holds.

If you live outside the US you might be able to find a vet who will do a vasectomy instead of a full castration, which at least will prevent unwanted pregnancies but won't do anything about the behaviors. But usually if you have them castrated as soon as the undesirable behaviors start, they won't become habits.

So if keeping them intact means a lot to you, a vasectomy now with an option for full castration if they start undesirable behaviors later would be a good plan of action. (There are a few vets in the US that do vasectomies but they're hard to find. Worth asking around if that's what you want, though.)

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I didn't read everything but I can tell you this. I live in Istanbul. We have street cats everywhere as you may know, including in my yard. A few of them always stay here for years if not as long as they live so I observe them well. We can't always take to neuter them early. I can safely tell you there is always, ALWAYS, aaaaaaaalways a problem with tomcats first for themselves BUT not everything starts at the same time. For example, one of our ginger boys was exactly like your kitties. He wasn't neutered at the time but he was still the sweetest, never picked on any fights, didn't even show any interest in female cats. Well turned out he was a late bloomer so to speak. This all changed after like 1,5 years. At first he started to "smell" (spayed) female cats. Then growl after male cats. Similar story with another yellow-white boy.

My one neighbor's non-neutered cat once escaped the house and didn't return until they found him 1,5 months later. Their guess is he smelled a female cat around. This also happens. At home the cats are sweet, no signs of tomcat behavior but turns out this is because there is no female cat around. As soon as they smell one (and they can from distance), they go bananas and even do things like jumping off the window, escaping, etc

I have personally never seen a sweet tomcat not being sweet after getting neutered. I don't know ONE tomcat who doesn't have issues related to not being neutered within the first few years. Your situation is riskier too as if a big fight breaks between them, things might take a long while to get better between them if ever. That also happens.