Non-clumping Litter That The Cats Can Bury Poop With?

suze415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We're about to get our first cat since my girl Gizmo died 11 years ago. I'm overwhelmed by all the litter choices now! I've read a bit about the non-clumping litter (after a long period of how can non-clumping litter possibly work?!) and I'm mostly sold, but worried that cats can't bury their poop with it, thus smelling up the room like poop until it gets cleaned. Has that been your experience with the non-clumping litters? Has anyone discovered one that the cats CAN bury their poop with?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non clumping litter doesn’t cover smell that well from my experience. The other downside is you can’t tell how much the cat pees so it’s hard to know when they might be having urinary issues if there are no other symptoms. :dunno:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Veteran
Purraise
Hi - You could do a 50%50 or whatever suits combination of clumping and non clumping, and get the benefits of both.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Non-clumping litter is just clay in larger bits, more like gravel than sand. There's no reason a cat wouldn't be able to dig in it. For non-clumping odor control I like Fresh Step but the fragrance is a bit much. What brand were you considering?

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is also non-clay non-clumping litter. This is probably the main reason why people use non-clumping - so they can use non-clay litter without additives.

Lari

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I use the red tidy cats non clumping, and Lelia buries fine (I know the clumping is supposed to be better but she's so perfect in the litterbox I'm afraid of switching and fixing something that's not 'broken')

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our non-clumping litter is actually paper pellets. I have four cats, and they bury their waste in it all the time. The only cat that can clear the room with her poop smell is Yue, whether it's this litter, or fragranced clumping clay litter. It's just her gut. Boyfriend scoops up after her when she does that, and otherwise we just scoop the boxes as normal, and empty the box and do new litter every weekend. Might have to lay down a new shallow layer of litter once or twice a week, depending on how much urinating in which box they do. I know that sounded kind of tongue-twisty, but we have 3 large storage containers fashioned as litter boxes, and it seems like they pee more in the living room and the bathroom.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

suze415

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks everyone!