Non-adjuvented Vaccines For Fiv+ Cat, Health Concerns

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know if it's common to give cats non-adjuvanted vaccines, due to the risk of sarcomas, but I read some info that recommended non-adjuvanted vaccines for FIV+ cats specifically. When I trapped Butch he received the typical rabies and FVRCP vaccines at the spay/neuter clinic. I've only had him for about a year now, he's around 5-6 years old, so it's not like he got his recommended core vaccines as a kitten or anything. He's spent most of his life tomcatting about town. So I'm not sure what shots would benefit him most now that he's strictly an indoor cat living with other indoor cats. Of course I want him to be protected from illness, without stressing his immune system further.

And Butch has had some issues with his ears recently. In February he had a bacterial infection in both ears and the vet found he has a yeast infection in one of his ears now. I've had blood work done twice, which looked good aside from his kidney levels being slightly elevated last time. The vet wasn't concerned and said to wait and see how things look the next time he has blood drawn. But I guess an FIV+ cat is still more susceptible to health problems, even if their white blood cell count is okay. I was thinking I'll put him on a strict restricted high-protein diet, to see if a food allergy might be the root cause of his ear troubles. I don't know if it is.

I'll talk to the vet about my concerns when I take him in to get his ears rechecked, but I was looking for more information and wondered what people's experiences were with vaccinating FIV+ cats. Thanks~

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Absolutely, I always recommend non-adjuvanted vaccines for ALL cats, and especially for any cat whose immune system may be compromised. FIV postitive cats are, indeed, more susceptible to illnesses, and stress can be a factor here. As to what vaccines you should use, most places require rabies, at the least. Since he is indoor only, have a really open conversation with your vet about the others...the advantages, the risks... And if you don't feel as if your concerns are being properly addressed, come back here. We can give you some guidance on choosing the right vet for you and your cats.

I would also make sure that he's treated with a heartworm preventative. Many flea products offer this, as well, so one dose does it all. Even living indoors, cats are at risk for heartworms, since mosquitoes are not respecters of doorways. I killed 6 of them in my house last night alone! This is why Hekitty gets heartworm preventative.

molly92

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I pretty much trust Dr. Pierson's recommendations: Vaccines for Cats: We Need to Stop Overvaccinating

To summarize, it sounds like it would be good to do a titer test to see if he has been previously vaccinated against panoleukemia. If not, 1 non adjuvant FVRCP shot, and he'll be set for life. Then the 3 year rabies shot...and that's it. Assuming all of your other indoor cats are healthy, he really isn't at much risk for anything else in the vaccinate-able category. The side effects and possibly related health complications are listed on that oage and are lengthy. Jf I had known this earlier, and my FIV positive cat wasn't vaccinated by the shelter for everything before I got her, this is what I would have done.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. Do most vets offer non-adjuvanted vaccines? I'm still not sure how common it is for vets to use the non-adjuvated vaccinations for cats, if it's typical or not.

I gave Butch flea/parasite prevention this summer. Since he's lived most of his life as a stray I have feared he could already have heartworms. From what I understand, with medical care hopefully a cat can survive living with heartworms after they've been diagnosed. I don't recall any vet recommending heartworm testing for my cats. Maybe because heartworm isn't very common where I live? They still recommend heartworm prevention for cats, regardless, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

deepsearch

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I had him vaccinated against panleukopenia, as he got an FVRCP vaccine along with a one year rabies vaccine when I had him neutered. And he got a booster shot at my regular vet last fall when I took him in for a checkup and bloodwork, since the vet said he was healthy enough to be vaccinated. I just assume he never received veterinary care for anything before I trapped him, being a stray/feral.

I was more concerned as to whether he should receive the FVRCP vaccine for his benefit. I mean, if it's safe for him to get the vaccination then I'd prefer, as much as possible, for him to be protected from preventable disease. The vet I went to today did offer the three year rabies vaccine. I'll have to ask about the FVRCP vaccine.

Thanks for the link.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Thanks for the reply. Do most vets offer non-adjuvanted vaccines? I'm still not sure how common it is for vets to use the non-adjuvated vaccinations for cats, if it's typical or not.
Give your vet a call. I couldn't find anything definitive about thatl

From what I understand, with medical care hopefully a cat can survive living with heartworms after they've been diagnosed.
Heartworms MUST be treated, and the treatment is rough on their systems. The earlier you catch and treat it, the better. The test is simple, and quick. Untreated, a cat or dog undergoes a slow decline, with breathing becoming more and more difficult and labored as the heart become more blocked with the mass of worms living in it. However, animals successfully treated almost always go on to live long, healthy lives.

I've been reading more about vaccines, and it looks as if ANY vaccine can cause a sarcoma if the cat is genetically predisposed to it. So my rule-of-thumb will be, vaccinate as my vets suggests (with conversation on the whys and wherefores), and watch the site carefully!