Nobivac given without being asked at spay appointment..

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It seems I'm back again. I realize I've been posting so much here lately, and I appreciate the patience over my anxiety. I also really appreciate the helpful answers that I continue to get.

I am definitely a little upset about this, but my partner went to pick up our 6-month-old from getting her spay and informed me that the vet went ahead and gave her a Nobivac rabies shot too without asking, they also sent her in a truck to a completely different vet to get spayed and only told my partner when he went to pick her up, mainly because the truck was 30 minutes late arriving. The initial vet was already picked out for us from the shelter that we had bought her from as she came with a free spaying.
I had done a bunch of research on the reviews of the vet we brought her to prior so I could feel safe, only to find out that that wasn't even the place they are doing and is more than a bit frustrating on top of this rabies thing.

I had already educated myself on rabies vaccinations as I know it's required in my state for them to be given. I had planned on asking for Purevax and ensuring it was given in her leg. But that opportunity is gone and I have no clue where on her body they injected it. I just need some advice on this, how to proceed, and maybe what to look for in terms of complications.

Thank you all 🥺

lwndlnd

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems I'm back again. I realize I've been posting so much here lately, and I appreciate the patience over my anxiety. I also really appreciate the helpful answers that I continue to get.

I am definitely a little upset about this, but my partner went to pick up our 6-month-old from getting her spay and informed me that the vet went ahead and gave her a Nobivac rabies shot too without asking, they also sent her in a truck to a completely different vet to get spayed and only told my partner when he went to pick her up, mainly because the truck was 30 minutes late arriving. The initial vet was already picked out for us from the shelter that we had bought her from as she came with a free spaying.
I had done a bunch of research on the reviews of the vet we brought her to prior so I could feel safe, only to find out that that wasn't even the place they are doing and is more than a bit frustrating on top of this rabies thing.

I had already educated myself on rabies vaccinations as I know it's required in my state for them to be given. I had planned on asking for Purevax and ensuring it was given in her leg. But that opportunity is gone and I have no clue where on her body they injected it. I just need some advice on this, how to proceed, and maybe what to look for in terms of complications.

Thank you all 🥺
Hello!

I do understand your frustration and anxiety. Personally, I would be angry, anxious and frustrated as well. I don’t know if it’s forbidden or not for vets to give shots without owner’s permission, but morally it definitively seems so. You should’ve been able to choose a vaccine and tell them to vaccinate your cat in the leg only. Also about sending your cat to the different vet in the truck without notifying you, it’s horrible. I’m sorry they did all that. And I can’t understand why they just didn’t tell you.

Personally I would go to the vets when I have time to talk all of it through. They need to know such things are not okay and they need to face responsibility. I know it can be stressful but still. I’d also want to ask where they give your cat a vaccine shot and was it 1-year or 3-year vaccine. It seems like Nobivac has two of them available if I’m not mistaken.

FISS is a serious concern but it happens rarely. 1 in 1000 or even 1 in 10 000 cats have this which is even less than 1%. Maybe this would ease your mind a bit. You would want to check for any lumps on her body. It’s common for cats have small lumps after getting vaccines prior to a month or even more so don’t worry about that straight away. There is a 3-2-1 rule for FISS. If the lump persists for 3 months or longer after an injection, if it ever becomes larger than 2 centimetres in diameter and if it continues to increase in size 1 month after an injection. These things require performing biopsy. And this is what you need to watch for.

Unfortunately, there were cases where cats got FISS years after vaccination. It can happen even after 5 or 10 years. Commonly though if it happens, it happens earlier. Risk factors also include a few shots in the same place or frequent vaccination. So it’s a good thing she only had one.

I hope your kitty will be okay! You’re taking a good care of her. Take a deep breath, talk to the vets and monitor your cat for any of those signs. Sending all the good vibes your way :vibes::vibes::vibes:

savannahjansson

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Thank you all 🥺

Hey there! No need to worry about posting a lot – we're here to help and share experiences.

I can understand why you're upset about the unexpected Nobivac rabies shot and the mix-up with the vet. It can be frustrating when things don't go as planned, especially when it comes to your pet's health.

Since the vaccination is already administered, the best course of action might be to keep an eye on your kitty for any unusual reactions or side effects. Most cats tolerate vaccinations well, but it's good to be vigilant. If you have any concerns or notice anything out of the ordinary, don't hesitate to reach out to your vet for guidance.

Hopefully, everything will turn out just fine, and your kitty will be back to her usual self soon. 🐱💕

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoftAries

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello!

I do understand your frustration and anxiety. Personally, I would be angry, anxious and frustrated as well. I don’t know if it’s forbidden or not for vets to give shots without owner’s permission, but morally it definitively seems so. You should’ve been able to choose a vaccine and tell them to vaccinate your cat in the leg only. Also about sending your cat to the different vet in the truck without notifying you, it’s horrible. I’m sorry they did all that. And I can’t understand why they just didn’t tell you.

Personally I would go to the vets when I have time to talk all of it through. They need to know such things are not okay and they need to face responsibility. I know it can be stressful but still. I’d also want to ask where they give your cat a vaccine shot and was it 1-year or 3-year vaccine. It seems like Nobivac has two of them available if I’m not mistaken.

FISS is a serious concern but it happens rarely. 1 in 1000 or even 1 in 10 000 cats have this which is even less than 1%. Maybe this would ease your mind a bit. You would want to check for any lumps on her body. It’s common for cats have small lumps after getting vaccines prior to a month or even more so don’t worry about that straight away. There is a 3-2-1 rule for FISS. If the lump persists for 3 months or longer after an injection, if it ever becomes larger than 2 centimetres in diameter and if it continues to increase in size 1 month after an injection. These things require performing biopsy. And this is what you need to watch for.

Unfortunately, there were cases where cats got FISS years after vaccination. It can happen even after 5 or 10 years. Commonly though if it happens, it happens earlier. Risk factors also include a few shots in the same place or frequent vaccination. So it’s a good thing she only had one.

I hope your kitty will be okay! You’re taking a good care of her. Take a deep breath, talk to the vets and monitor your cat for any of those signs. Sending all the good vibes your way :vibes::vibes::vibes:
I really appreciate the understanding 😔🙏 I'm definitely frustrated, but I'm just trying to follow up with both of the vets at the moment, as you suggested. It definitely is added stress doing this. But the vet that gave her the spay apologized for the shelter. And told us that the shelter people are the ones that do the vaccines, they are also the ones that didn't send her home with pain meds. So now we're going to have to call the shelter to find out about the vaccine. It's quite the runaround...

However I really really appreciate the information about the vaccine. I did find a few articles about it that made me feel mildly better, but knowing what to look for is valuable as well.

I'm hoping she'll do okay, I may need to make it yet another post on this pain med situation now though after that call 🤦

Hey there! No need to worry about posting a lot – we're here to help and share experiences.

I can understand why you're upset about the unexpected Nobivac rabies shot and the mix-up with the vet. It can be frustrating when things don't go as planned, especially when it comes to your pet's health.

Since the vaccination is already administered, the best course of action might be to keep an eye on your kitty for any unusual reactions or side effects. Most cats tolerate vaccinations well, but it's good to be vigilant. If you have any concerns or notice anything out of the ordinary, don't hesitate to reach out to your vet for guidance.

Hopefully, everything will turn out just fine, and your kitty will be back to her usual self soon. 🐱💕
I appreciate the reassurance. I just feel so frantic over this whole situation. Definitely doing my best to stay calm though, especially for my girl. I want her to be able to heal well without me affecting her.

And yes, for sure I'll be keeping an eye on her now that I know what to look for. 😔 And ugh yes, this is all quite frustrating. Definitely a time for practicing some radical acceptance.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh no wonder you are so upset. That's really awful to have it sprung upon you.

Unfortunately, since it was something paid for by the rescue, this is probably why that happened. Likely, she was put with the other cats from the rescue and given the standard that the evts office does for them, including to being taken to that month's spay clinic.

It doesn't make it better per say, but I find it helpful to understand why something could have happened.

Did you have to pay for the rabies? It may have been included with the spay in your papers.

If it helps to know I've had 4 cats with regular Nobivac vaccines and no issues! 😅 Purevax isn't what my cats got until recently. Magnus had that one.