No-chicken Trial But What About Eggs?

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
Lily has been scratching her neck constantly (for years actually) so the vet has recommended a no-chicken trial to see if that’s the problem. I’ve tested possible sensitivity to other proteins in the past, but she still scratches.

I’m making non-chicken batches today, but I wondered about adding eggs. I always add them because it’s good for them, but I know it’s optional. Are eggs a problem for chicken allergies? Of course, I’m using beef liver for the organ component.

I’ve been avoiding the chicken test because it’s all that Iris, her sister (who also scratches), will eat. But I have to do something. They scratch constantly. I’ll start with Lily because she never met a meal she didn’t like, and if it turns out to be a chicken problem, I’ll just have to figure out how to deal with Iris’s pickiness!

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'm no expert, but I believe that chicken eggs can be a problem with chicken allergies. For the test, at least, I'd be inclined to cut both out. If the chicken-free diet works, you can maybe consider testing putting chicken eggs back in, and monitoring reactions closely.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
You’re right, Columbine Columbine . Better to keep the test free of anything chicken or chicken related. Although the vet said okay to other fowl, so I’m making a turkey batch, and I’ve bought some duck commercial raw.

Thank you!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I agree. It would be really annoyingly pointless to do a chicken free diet and have the egg somehow set off a reaction and feeling like you're back to square one!
(This is including egg shell calcium for boneless raw diets as a calcium source. No real "proof" of this but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tobermory

Staff Member
Purraise
I agree. It would be really annoyingly pointless to do a chicken free diet and have the egg somehow set off a reaction and feeling like you're back to square one!
(This is including egg shell calcium for boneless raw diets as a calcium source. No real "proof" of this but I figure it's better to be safe than sorry).
Ah. Great point. I’m currently doing my own supplements and using a combo of HT grinds adding no bone meal and locally purchased boneless adding bone meal. The bone meal I use will work—no chickens or their relations are involved—but I was thinking of ordering Alnutrin with Eggshell Calcium to make my life easier. I know I can’t use EZ Complete because of the chicken liver, but you’ve reminded me that I’ll need to get the other calcium Alnutrin. Thanks!

1 bruce 1

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Ah. Great point. I’m currently doing my own supplements and using a combo of HT grinds adding no bone meal and locally purchased boneless adding bone meal. The bone meal I use will work—no chickens or their relations are involved—but I was thinking of ordering Alnutrin with Eggshell Calcium to make my life easier. I know I can’t use EZ Complete because of the chicken liver, but you’ve reminded me that I’ll need to get the other calcium Alnutrin. Thanks!
If you hit a dead end, we used Animal Essentials Seaweed calcium and LOVED it. Assuming your kitty has no issues with fish/fish oils/anything sea weed or anything like that, we found it really good quality and well tolerated.