No appetite for food or water

adell

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,
I took my cat into see the Vet 2 weeks ago and he diagnosed him with a upper respiratory infection, dehydration and after the blood panel, said to put him on a Renal Diet. He's been on Thyroid medication for about a year. He finished the antibiotics this week. He seems like he wants water but he stares at the water and does a couple of licks but that's it. I've tried to give him water by a syringe and tried tuna juice in the water but no luck. I did get him to drink alittle today by letting the water from the faucet run over my hand. He had a great appetite previously but today he won't eat. I am worried about him, especially the not drinking. I am going to call my vet tomorrow and see if they can give him another fluid injection. I've been reading about the Sub Q for dehydration. He's 17 yrs old. Lately he doesn't sleep at night at all. He'll sit for a few minutes but then he heads for the door. He'll go in and out all day long now. I asked my vet about that and he told me he's getting senile. He's getting really thin now and doesn't look good. I've told so many people online for advise but they say to talk with his vet. His vet said there isn't not much he can do besides give him Mind tests and observe him. I did order some Epakitin today but it maybe too late. Feeling sad.

Katdog

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry you are going through this. 17 years is a decent time frame, so be grateful for that! I’m a first time pet owner so I’ve never had to go through what you are, but I know there’s a forum for dying cats in the site. If you peruse that page, It might offer some peace of mind as you go through this. Maybe try to spend more time with him by playing and giving him his favorite foods. Giving him food seems to be the best way to prolong his health. I’ve always heard of that if they are eating then things are still okay... hang in there and good luck! Giving you as many air hugs as I can!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. A lot of cats who have renal disease get subQ fluids on a regular basis. I would try that first before letting the vet just assume that his behavior is related to senility. Dehydration can affect cognitive abilities as well. I hope you can get the vet to prescribe the fluids - and, you could actually administer them at home (there are many members on this site that do it for their cats). And, while you are at it, ask the vet about trying to feed him some of the Hills Prescription Diet A/D Critical Care canned food (restorative care food). It is very high in calories and is used a lot as a recovery food for ill cats. It would seem many cats are very receptive to eating it as well.

If your vet won't work with you, find another vet through family/friends/neighbors/co-workers. They even may be able to help you get an appt. faster than just reaching out to a new vet on your own.

Your cat deserves an opportunity to rebound!

Attachments

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did your Vet say how bad his kidneys are? Kidney cats often lose their appetites, but they usually drink like there's no tomorrow, so not drinking with kidney disease is not good. Have they rechecked his thyroid lately to make sure he's on the right medication?

I would try all kinds of different foods with him. I've had three kidney cats and none of them ate the kidney food simply because they wouldn't eat it. Our Vet said better to eat anything than to starve to death so we fed them what they liked.