Night Meowing Around Babies

Annie D.

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a 13 year old male, neutered, indoor cat. I adopted him from a rescue at 2 months old. Since my son (18 months old), has been sleeping his nights (for the last 7 months), my cat now does a high pitched meow several times a night, waking everyone up in the house. I took him to the vet and he has had blood work done, with everything coming back normal. He usually sleeps in bed with my husband and I, and always has access to food and the litter box as we leave our bedroom door open so he can come and go as he pleases. I have tried ignoring him but it doesn’t seem to work and then I have to go console my hysterical baby who is now very sleep deprived. I have tried putting him in another room but his meowing is so loud that you can still hear him from 2 floors down. Besides the night meowing, he seems to get along well with my son and has not had any other behavioral issues. I can’t take it anymore, any help would be appreciated.

Brian007

Furmate and Famulus
Top Cat
Purraise
:welcomesign:

When you say you've tried ignoring him, how hard have you tried?

It sounds to me like he's waking you all up on purpose as he knows that it causes lots of commotion and he gets attention. He probably learned this trick from your son and misses their wake-up chorus now that your son sleeps through. The only real way that I can think to stop him is to completely ignore him and to keep ignoring him until he learns that it no longer works. This will be hard work on your and your families part but it will work, eventually.

Other than that, show him a lot of attention just before you go to bed, and play with him until he's tired. Then feed him. Hopefully, he'll sleep more soundly through the night and will learn to associate this time is a good attention time instead.

:salam: