Nibbler has suspected cancer. I am heartbroken

YasTheCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys some of you may remember my post about Nibbler from earlier in the month. After months of puking on and off, it was discovered she had gastritis after x rays, ultrasound and blood work. Here's the thread -

The puking had slowed down for about a week or so but started up again and when she puked 2 days in a row again, we took her to the vet which was today. I didn't go to this appt, my husband did. After talking on the phone last night to the vet, I was told that she would have her usual check up and we would try some hypoallergenic food to hopefully settle her stomach. Husband came back from the appt with no food and his face chalk white - the vet found a small lump in Nibbler's abdomen. He said he can't remember if she said it was her stomach or intestines 100% but is fairly confident it was her intestines. Vet said that this lump is small and didn't show up on the ultrasound, x rays or physical exam she had done 3 weeks ago so she is pretty concerned and told him truthfully - given Nibbler's age, the symptoms she has apart from the lump and that her brother Rambo died from mast cell cancer a few months ago, it is more likely than not cancerous. She is going back to for x rays and ultrasound on Friday (3 days from now) and a possible biopsy if the lump looks dodgy on the scans. Vet also said it appeared the lump was tender and there was a bit of pain when she touched it. Husband didn't ask the exact size but vet said it was small. I haven't felt it while petting her and I am not going to go looking for it.

I am absolutely heartbroken. I just went through this with her brother a few months ago and that floored me, absolutely crushed and soul destroyed me and I didn't think I would be back here again so soon. Vet is fairly confident it isn't mast cell cancer as there are no mast cells detected in her blood whereas Rambo had a very high count. Her blood will be re-checked on Friday. So far nothing has shown up wrong in her blood whereas when we found Rambo's cancer he had high mast cell count, hyperthyroidism and low potassium. Rambo died after getting a spleen biopsy done. He took a sudden cardiac arrest hours after the procedure just before I was due to collect him. I am terrified history is repeating itself.

Other than puking, she hasn't fully been herself in a while. She is still playful but not like her old self but we put it down to the heat of summer, missing Rambo, the gastritis. She spends a lot of time in the back room in Rambo's old box but again, its cooler in there so we thought it was just to chill away from the heat. She doesn't eat as much of her normal cat food as she used to but will eat roast beef and chicken all day long and goes hyper and excited for it like normal.

Any paw-sitive vibes sent Nibbler's way would be truly appriciated. I will keep you all posted on how Friday goes xx

Here is a pic of my beayutiful diva girl, Nibbler

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I am so sorry that you are facing this possibility again. To be a little positive, some of her change in behavior could be the heat, the loss of Rambo, and the gastritis. Try not to think about everything originating in the new lump. The vet said it might not be mast cell this time, so try to hold on until you have some concrete information. If the lump can be felt, I wonder if this biopsy might be much less invasive than Rambo's. She is a beautiful girl and you can see that she knows she is loved. Please let us know what happens.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi guys some of you may remember my post about Nibbler from earlier in the month. After months of puking on and off, it was discovered she had gastritis after x rays, ultrasound and blood work. Here's the thread -
[/URL]

The puking had slowed down for about a week or so but started up again and when she puked 2 days in a row again, we took her to the vet which was today. I didn't go to this appt, my husband did. After talking on the phone last night to the vet, I was told that she would have her usual check up and we would try some hypoallergenic food to hopefully settle her stomach. Husband came back from the appt with no food and his face chalk white - the vet found a small lump in Nibbler's abdomen. He said he can't remember if she said it was her stomach or intestines 100% but is fairly confident it was her intestines. Vet said that this lump is small and didn't show up on the ultrasound, x rays or physical exam she had done 3 weeks ago so she is pretty concerned and told him truthfully - given Nibbler's age, the symptoms she has apart from the lump and that her brother Rambo died from mast cell cancer a few months ago, it is more likely than not cancerous. She is going back to for x rays and ultrasound on Friday (3 days from now) and a possible biopsy if the lump looks dodgy on the scans. Vet also said it appeared the lump was tender and there was a bit of pain when she touched it. Husband didn't ask the exact size but vet said it was small. I haven't felt it while petting her and I am not going to go looking for it.

I am absolutely heartbroken. I just went through this with her brother a few months ago and that floored me, absolutely crushed and soul destroyed me and I didn't think I would be back here again so soon. Vet is fairly confident it isn't mast cell cancer as there are no mast cells detected in her blood whereas Rambo had a very high count. Her blood will be re-checked on Friday. So far nothing has shown up wrong in her blood whereas when we found Rambo's cancer he had high mast cell count, hyperthyroidism and low potassium. Rambo died after getting a spleen biopsy done. He took a sudden cardiac arrest hours after the procedure just before I was due to collect him. I am terrified history is repeating itself.

Other than puking, she hasn't fully been herself in a while. She is still playful but not like her old self but we put it down to the heat of summer, missing Rambo, the gastritis. She spends a lot of time in the back room in Rambo's old box but again, its cooler in there so we thought it was just to chill away from the heat. She doesn't eat as much of her normal cat food as she used to but will eat roast beef and chicken all day long and goes hyper and excited for it like normal.

Any paw-sitive vibes sent Nibbler's way would be truly appriciated. I will keep you all posted on how Friday goes xx

Here is a pic of my beayutiful diva girl, Nibbler
I am so sorry, big hugs and sending love to you all and 🙏🏻 For Nibbler, she is gorgeous. I hope it turns out to be something else and if so there are treatments.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YasTheCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies. It's morning now and last night's sleep was awful. Full of nightmares, tossing and turning and then I woke up to hear her puke half an hour ago. Mostly bile with a few chunks of food. She won't touch her normal whiskas but she will eat all the chicken and roast beef we offer her. I have noticed her normal whiskas looks different. The chunks are more flaky than chunky and I'm hoping that's why she is being fussy with that when she will still eat chicken and beef.

I can't get the horrible thought out my head that she will be put to sleep on Friday. Just can't shake it. Also can't work out how that lump wasn't there three weeks ago when she got her ultrasound and X ray done. Everything looked perfect apart from gastritis and constipation. I've noticed when she pukes now, she usually poops a min or two after it too. The really thinks it's cancer not just because of the lump but because she's on a long lasting steroid injection and her appetite still hasn't increased much.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you both for your replies. It's morning now and last night's sleep was awful. Full of nightmares, tossing and turning and then I woke up to hear her puke half an hour ago. Mostly bile with a few chunks of food. She won't touch her normal whiskas but she will eat all the chicken and roast beef we offer her. I have noticed her normal whiskas looks different. The chunks are more flaky than chunky and I'm hoping that's why she is being fussy with that when she will still eat chicken and beef.

I can't get the horrible thought out my head that she will be put to sleep on Friday. Just can't shake it. Also can't work out how that lump wasn't there three weeks ago when she got her ultrasound and X ray done. Everything looked perfect apart from gastritis and constipation. I've noticed when she pukes now, she usually poops a min or two after it too. The really thinks it's cancer not just because of the lump but because she's on a long lasting steroid injection and her appetite still hasn't increased much.
I just lost one of my colony cats to cancer after enucleation. The surgery prolly made it spread very rapidly to her face and jawbone. I really think it was a case of a failed diagnosis though by 2 dvm. But still it went so fast. Had I known I would not have done the surgery and I would have let her just be free in my studio for the last few weeks of her life. I just read that the removed eye should always be biopsied as well which was not done. I am devastated. Oddly when I first saw her eye damage I thought it was cancer and then night I trapped her she was by the front door in a self protective way as if to shield herself, she was laying and down she looked up at me with a confused look on her face. I felt like I saw the shadow of death cross over her. I know that must sound crazy but that was my thought and I had the same feeling when I saw Giorgio when he first got sick and also had eye damage. He died about 3 weeks later, no one even figured out what was wrong with him but it was obvious he was not going to make it so I let him go after trying desperately to save him as well.
I hope your baby will be ok but if it is needed to let her go it will save her suffering a lot. 🤗

cat princesses

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I am so sorry! Sending you a hug! I am going thru an abdominal tumor diagnosis for my girl as well. I went to my local specialty pet store and bought some freeze dried white fish toppers and have been crumbling that into wet food to entice her to eat. It’s such a difficult time and I understand what you are going thru - do all that you can and enjoy every moment you have. Due to my girls age she’s about 16 or 17 the vet said these are most likely inoperable and told us to just love her until it’s time to go be with momma cat. Sending my prayers to you and your kitty!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Just spend time with her between now and Friday and make her as comfortable as possible. What she wants the most is to be with you and to know that she is surrounded by her family.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

YasTheCatLady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. Will keep you all posted with how Friday goes. My husband tells me to not be so silly that she won't die or be put to sleep on Friday and that it's not even guaranteed fully yet that it's cancer. I know what he means but after Rambo a few months ago, my mind jumps straight to the worst case scenarios with everything.

We fed her some Felix tonight and she ate the entire pouch! She's just been picking at her Whiskas lately so that was nice to see. If the lump hadn't been found by the vet then I wouldn't be as worried but given that most intestinal lumps in cats are cancerous apparently, it puts the fear in me. I'm hoping for a miracle. She still has a lot of her spark and goes crazy for head pets from my husband and dives into the kitchen when she hears me opening a pack of cold meat.

I'm not ready to lose her, I never will be and I hope for a miracle it's not cancer and she will be ok but whatever happens, I'll do the best by her.

Just can't get over how just 3 weeks ago all her scans came back fine for tumours, none was found or felt and now this. It's like a bad dream

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She has made some improvements and it does not sound as if she is ready to leave you yet and certainly (hopefully) not on Friday.