Next step on allergy trials?

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy has been on LID diets now for about 3 months. The rabbit was a bit of a fail (the smell was less, but not gone and still not great and getting her to eat it most times was an act of god). I switched to duck. After about 3 weeks on duck the smell was at a normal kitty poo smell (at least to me as judged on 2 years with her sister). But it was still a tad soft. I caught Delilah in the litter box and saw her tummy's a bit off too. Both girls are on a prescription probiotic because I caught someone who didn't cover her stuff. It was almost like light tan soft serve when I tried to scoop it. My suspicion is the kibble, which has Salmon oil. I thought Delilah would be OK with just the oil, but it seems a no go. I'm switching them to a different kibble with NO FISH.

Now the problem is, little Miss Fancy-Dancy is not always wanting to eat the duck. Some meals I have to mix the wet with the kibble to get her to eat it. Or she'll just wait for the kibble drop. Like her sister she likes variety.

Can I start introducing another novel protein in small amounts in her bowl? I would stay in the same brand (Koha) so that only the protein is different.The rest of the recipe is the same.

verna davies

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have you tried s boulardii, its a pre and probiotic that seems to work well for soft stools or diarrhoea.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I see that Koha has both green lipped mussels and agar agar. Both of these can be irritating and problematic. I know green lipped mussels definitely caused my Krista to have soft stools. Agar agar doubled her over with discomfort (the loaf of pain.) Is it possible for you to pick up some duck meat from the butcher, and put them on a short term (a couple of weeks) exclusion diet? If they don't have poop issues with just the duck meat (you can boil it or bake it), then you have to look at what else is in the ingredients that's causing them grief. They can't remain on just the meat. But if you can source liver (even freeze-dried duck liver), you can use a powder completer like Alnutrin to make the duck and liver a balanced and complete food. You don't have to feed raw if that makes you nervous. Just add your powder completer after you've cooked and cooled your meat.

Have you tried Rawz?

Have you tried Instinct? I don't like all the extra flaxseed, fruits, and vegetables in their recipe. But it doesn't have salmon oil. It doesn't have green lipped mussels. And it doesn't have agar agar. Oh shoot! It does have fish oil. Still. I would pick up several cans and introduce this food slowly into only one of their meals. You'll know soon enough if it makes matters worse. If it's good to proceed, you could convert one meal at a time. This gives you an easy out to go back to what they were eating if things don't work out quite like you hoped.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...iety-instinct-grain-free-duck-canned-cat-food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I see that Koha has both green lipped mussels and agar agar. Both of these can be irritating and problematic. I know green lipped mussels definitely caused my Krista to have soft stools. Agar agar doubled her over with discomfort (the loaf of pain.) Is it possible for you to pick up some duck meat from the butcher, and put them on a short term (a couple of weeks) exclusion diet? If they don't have poop issues with just the duck meat (you can boil it or bake it), then you have to look at what else is in the ingredients that's causing them grief. They can't remain on just the meat. But if you can source liver (even freeze-dried duck liver), you can use a powder completer like Alnutrin to make the duck and liver a balanced and complete food. You don't have to feed raw if that makes you nervous. Just add your powder completer after you've cooked and cooled your meat.

Have you tried Rawz?

Have you tried Instinct? I don't like all the extra flaxseed, fruits, and vegetables in their recipe. But it doesn't have salmon oil. It doesn't have green lipped mussels. And it doesn't have agar agar. Oh shoot! It does have fish oil. Still. I would pick up several cans and introduce this food slowly into only one of their meals. You'll know soon enough if it makes matters worse. If it's good to proceed, you could convert one meal at a time. This gives you an easy out to go back to what they were eating if things don't work out quite like you hoped.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petco...iety-instinct-grain-free-duck-canned-cat-food
Actually only the Koha LID pates have green lipped muscles and agar agar. The LID shreded (which really are mostly ground up meat, not shreds like their pure shreds line). These are the shredded duck ingredients.

Duck Broth, Duck, Pumpkin, Tapioca, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Copper Glycine Complex, Potassium Iodide), Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

Fancy's stomach is much better. But she's like her sister. Likes variety. Takes an act of God to get her to eat a pate (she ate them when I adopted her and stopped).

I'd like to introduce another protein but I'm hesitant because she was eating turkey, chicken and beef were her main diet previously. The only other flavor in the shredded LID from Koha is Lamb.

Actually the fish oil does seem to matter. I've had to stop the Pure Vita kibble because it has salmon oil and that was starting to set off my other cat's tummy. The Fussie Cat Duck and Quail kibble seems to work for both their tummies. I wish they had a wet. Their wet cans seem to have tuna oil.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Actually only the Koha LID pates have green lipped muscles and agar agar. The LID shreded (which really are mostly ground up meat, not shreds like their pure shreds line). These are the shredded duck ingredients.

Duck Broth, Duck, Pumpkin, Tapioca, Salt, Calcium Sulfate, Xanthan Gum, Choline Chloride, Vitamins (Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride, D-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin Supplement, Folic Acid, Vitamin B12 Supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Biotin), Minerals (Zinc Oxide, Reduced Iron, Sodium Selenite, Manganese Sulfate Monohydrate, Copper Glycine Complex, Potassium Iodide), Potassium Chloride, Taurine.

Fancy's stomach is much better. But she's like her sister. Likes variety. Takes an act of God to get her to eat a pate (she ate them when I adopted her and stopped).

I'd like to introduce another protein but I'm hesitant because she was eating turkey, chicken and beef were her main diet previously. The only other flavor in the shredded LID from Koha is Lamb.

Actually the fish oil does seem to matter. I've had to stop the Pure Vita kibble because it has salmon oil and that was starting to set off my other cat's tummy. The Fussie Cat Duck and Quail kibble seems to work for both their tummies. I wish they had a wet. Their wet cans seem to have tuna oil.
That’s much better. The only possible red flag I see is xanthan gum. It is both a thickener and an emulsifier (helps fat become more soluble.) It makes smooth foods smooth. And for those sensitive to it, it makes poops smooth too. Mousse in, mousse out. If she’s having soft poops, this could be the reason. I don't know what you would do about it short of going the homemade route (cooked or raw.) 🤷‍♂️

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

ladytimedramon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Fancy isn't on a mousse. Neither girl will touch a pate (to them it's a 4 letter word ;)). The thing right now with Fancy is she seems to be bored with the shredded duck. She goes to her bowl and it's like "ew - this again?".