Next option for heart problem

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Dr said Paul should not have bypass because of his high blood pressure.      There is a procedure he discussed with us called External Counter Pulsation.    I'm copying below what I posted on Facebook:

"Update:  Cardiologist discussed an office procedure called External Counter Pulsation.   Looked it up on the internet.  It involves 35 treatments consisting of one hour each.  They place you on a table, cuffs hooked around legs. Machine pulsates and stimulates blood to the heart and arteries.   He would have to go in every day (5 days wk/) for l hr, lasting around 1 month.    The reports I read sound amazing.  It's a procedure for people who cannot have by-pass for whatever reason.  We have a followup appt with dr Thurs and he'll show us the machine and how it works. Sounds like a good option."

Ok - I guess that's the next step.    He came home from hospital yesterday and is happy to be home.     Filling a bunch of prescriptions today, one of which is a stronger blood pressure med.      Boy - getting old is NO FUN!   

The above procedure sounds amazing.    The videos on the internet (You Tube etc.) explained it and it sounds like a lot of cardiologists don't even know about this procedure.     The testimonial from one dr who has used it many times sounds like a great option.    Insurance covers it.    We'll see Thurs and am anxoius to see the machine.  If you look at the videos it looks like some kind of midevil torture device.  Our dr laughed when I said that.      When the dr called me at home the other night to tell me about the procedure, he said "and when we get off the phone you can look it up on the internet".    I guess he has me pegged.

Thank you all my TCS friends for your support and prayers.  It means the world to me!!!!!

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Lana, I took the liberty of posting from Facebook this morning. We were concerned and you hadn't posted any updates , so I didn't think you'd be angry with me for doing so.

It sounds like Paul has his work cut out for him with the pulsation procedure. I hope things work out well for him.

But you? How are you? How are you dealing with all this? You know, I'm a phone call away, if you need to talk.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Lana, I took the liberty of posting from Facebook this morning. We were concerned and you hadn't posted any updates , so I didn't think you'd be angry with me for doing so.

It sounds like Paul has his work cut out for him with the pulsation procedure. I hope things work out well for him.

But you? How are you? How are you dealing with all this? You know, I'm a phone call away, if you need to talk.
Thanks for posting from Facebook Pam.   I'm trying to keep strong and be positive, since Paul is such a worrier.    The EECP procedure sounds like it might be something very good.    If you hav a chance look it up.    Testimonials from dr's, etc. and videos of the procedue were really encouraging.  Right now he is taking stronger bp meds and some heart meds.  He feels fine has no pain,e tc.,  and it's possible he's been walking aorund like this for years.    We're anxious to see the machine at the cardiologists office and discuss it further with him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
That sounds very interesting!  I'm so glad you have a plan of action and I really hope it works!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

kookycats

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again - you have no idea how much all your messages and caring thoughts mean to me.    I know I said it before --- but sometimes your on line friends show more concen than people you see every day (even relatives).

I  try to keep thinking he's probably been walking around like this for years and didn't even know he had any issues.    Sometimes "ignorance is bliss" -- oh maybe not - I'm just not sure!!

This a.m. excpecting Comcast here to resolve some phone issues we are having - calls keep cutting in and out.    Have to call service co. for an issue with our refrigerator --- never a dull moment.

Oh and yesterday the key got stuck in the ignition of the car and wouldn't come out.   AAA locksmith came and spent one hour dismantling the ignition system.  Some sort of switch that flips and locks ujp.  He said it's been a problem with GM cars.    He repaired and whole thing and said it should never happen again!      This repair alone would have cost $300- $400 at a repair shop.   AAA is really worth having - especially for us non-mechanically inclined people.

Again - thank you all my TCS friends.