Newly spayed cat

Brettb1028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am very new to owning a cat and had dogs growing up but wouldn’t give up my sweet girl for anything.
I just brought her home from getting spayed and she is hiding and doesn’t want to eat or come near me and cowers if I go near her. I don’t know if that’s a part of the anesthesia wearing off? And her cone seems to be getting in the way of everything, she can’t get to her food or water. I was told that she will figure it out and to just give her time but also don't want her to starve or get dehydrated. Maybe I’m just worrying to much?
IMG_0298.jpeg

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Brettb1028 Brettb1028 What kind of food and water bowls do you have for her. I recently had my girl spayed and she had a cone that was big for her because she was folding in half like a lawnchair and the cone was scraping the edge of her incision so we got another one that longer.. her food and water bowls are separate and they are elevated. She was able to put the cone around the bowl and go down to the food and water.. the cone was almost touching the floor and the dishes were inside the cone if that makes sense...

Was your baby spayed yesterday and sent home today? Or was she spayed and sent home today?

As for how she is acting I have no advice on that aspect because my girl (Gabby) came home same day and was completely out of it she couldn't even stand up without falling over until the next day. Believe me that was scary I was bawling thinking something was terribly wrong... but she was just extremely drugged up.

That being said it can normal to be off of food for a little bit due to the anesthesia..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Brettb1028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Ok yes her bowls are elevated as you described and she was spayed today and brought home today

Brettb1028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Maybe I’m just a worry wart lol. She’s just not herself lol but makes sense about the anesthesia

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you can try to walk over to her bowls with her and guide her cone over the bowl?
At first Gabby kept hitting the cone on the bowl so I guided it a little and she got the hang of it.
Believe me I completely understand being worried.. it's hard not to worry about our babies..

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Some cats are very thrown off by a cone, although I am not saying to take it off as she may start to bother the incision site. There are sort cones and also surgical suits if you think that something along those lines would work.

7 Cat Cone Alternatives for Recovery - Vetstreet
There are a lot of sites with this information, pics, and options; this is just one example.

Brettb1028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She’s doing very well thank you. Not liking her cone at all lol. 3-5 days and I can take it off. She’s a lot more cuddly then she used to be and I’m loving it haha
Her name is spunky

Brettb1028

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Some cats are very thrown off by a cone, although I am not saying to take it off as she may start to bother the incision site. There are sort cones and also surgical suits if you think that something along those lines would work.

7 Cat Cone Alternatives for Recovery - Vetstreet
There are a lot of sites with this information, pics, and options; this is just one example.
Thanks. Ya I was looking at a few different ones but she’s starting to get the hang of it. Not exactly liking but she’s hanging in there lol

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
So I'm assuming spunky figured out how to get her food and water now

And I'm glad she is doing well. If you would like to I'm not twisting your arm or anything but I like pictures hahaha

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you.. i love seeing everyone's babies!!! She is absolutely adorable!!!!! And she definitely knows she is loved that's for sure she looks like she might be a daddy's girl ☺

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I swear I think my girl loves her daddy more than me sometimes lol.. but I'm fine with that it just means that I know she is loved to the fullest extent in our house.
Here is a picture of our Gabby girl lol she is the one who had to have a longer cone because she could still lick her incision

Attachments