Newly Rescue Ferrel cat With FIV

Julie V

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So, we’ve neutered and vaccinated a long haired white outdoor semi-ferrel cat who we’ve named Clyde. I had been feeding him outdoors and providing shelter for a couple months until one day he showed up with a nasty bleeding bite behind his ear. At that point he was still eating and getting around as normal, but he kept scratching open the bite. I knew he also was not neutered, so began feeding him inside a large pet carrier. After about 3 weeks and several failed attempts, I was able to close him in and get him to a vet. Unfortunately he tested positive for FIV (possibly from the recent bite). The vet insured me this is not a death sent an e and that he could still lead a normal length life with proper care and treatments if he ever seems ill. So, Clyde was Neutered, vaccinated (just in case he were to get back outside or I needed to just release him back outside), and given an antibiotic for the bite. He’s been home now and isolated from our 5 other rescue cats. He is in our walk out basement which is a finished basement much like an apartment. I provided him with a hiding spot in an enclosed room for the first few days. He still has the room to revert to, but I have since opened the door to allow him to explore at will. He doesn’t leave his “safe zone” hiding spot (really a blanket tented fort created under a table) while I’m in there with him, however I’m able to enter the fort with him, pet him, and he plays with me. He began using the litter box 4 days after being home from vet. Has been eating well and consistently using the litter box. He has even ventured out of his safe room when I’m not down there (I’ve left food out and it has been eaten).
so, recently, since last FRIDAY he has had diarrhea and puked up his food a few times. Since Sunday however he seems to have been doing better....less diarrhea and no puking. Eating as normal, playing with me, purring. Today, he ate much less this morning but still played/rolled around with me. Now hasn’t wanted to eat since. I was just there to check on him and he was just laying in his tent purring. Ilive read that purring can not only show happiness, but also be an attempt on the cats part to soothe themselves if they are nervous, sick, or in pain. Any way, while I sat there with him, he suddenly got up and ran to the litter box, had a bad bout of diarrhea, covers it, Jumps out then proceeds to puke up a large amount of undigested food. Then meowed for me to please move so he could go back to his safe zone. Since then he is still laying in the safe zone purring and I can tell he still doesn’t feel well. I know the answer.....take him to the vet to get checked. Problem: I’m not gonna be able to get him in a carrier. He doesn’t want to be touched right now. Do you think this is just due to stress/anxiety being indoors? Am I around him too much making him stressed out (not enough alone time)? Or is something really wrong. The vet ispretty much saying he believes it’s stress and anxiety. Anyone experience any of this or have advice? Is he sick? Do I just give him more alone time? Do I let him outside? Do I get big gloves and suit up to grab him and force him in a carrier? Ugh....don’t know what to do. None of our other rescue ferrel s happened like this (of course they were kittens and none have FIV or other diseases). Clyde is approx 3 years old (according to the vets bestguess) & had been abandoned about 2-3 years ago by someone in our neighboorhood who moved.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You have been so kind to Clyde and he is so fortunate, FIV and all, to have been helped by you. I have never had an FIV cat, so hopefully those who have will come around and answer; however, to me it sounds more or less severe with the vomiting and diarrhea. Yes, it could be stress, but I have dealt with a lot of very stressed true ferals who did not have those complications when they were confined. It sounds to me as if he is not unhappy with his new lodgings and he is probably happy to have a place to rest and recover from the recent vet experience. He has been friendly to you and not exhibited wild behavior, so I am inclined to think that he is ill.

He ate this morning, so you might observe him today and try to get him to the vet is he refuses food and has the same symptoms by tomorrow? I know that means putting on all the protective gear and having the confrontation.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Do NOT let him outside. An FIV cat really needs to be an indoor cat. I would ask the vet if any of his vaccinations could be causing this. It is also possible that the antibiotic is affecting him - many cats experience digestive issues when given antibiotics, more so with an oral one, but I suppose it could happen with an injectable one. Perhaps, until this can be straightened out, the vet would prescribe an anti-nausea med to see if that might help?

Did you change any of his food during this time? If you did, that can also cause issues. If you did, go back to what you were feeding him before. If not, try feeding him some cooked chicken - many times that will help settle a cat's stomach.

I think he seems to like having you around, so I wouldn't reduce the amount of time you are with him. If nothing else, you might want to increase your presence - if for no other reason than to provide him with some comfort, sort of 'from afar', and to observe him more.
Is there anything in the basement that he could be allergic to?

All in all, if there isn't a positive change in the next 24 hours or so, it is back to the vet. If it is related to stress, I wonder if the vet would approve a tiny dose of gabapentin that you could give him before you take him to the vet. In a small dose, it acts to calm a cat, which should help you get him in a carrier and alleviate a bit of his anxiety. You could also consider taking a sample of his diarrhea and vomit to the vet for testing.

Wish I could help more...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julie V

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I called the vet today. They suggested I bring in a stool sample. I did so this afternoon and I should hear back tomorrow what might be needed. I just wish there was a vet who would do a house call and at least help me get him into the carrier (even if partial sedation of some sort needed to be used). Also this is the first time I’ve used this vet and he is very busy being a farm vet also. When I took him in for the neuter/vaccines I arrived with him at 8:00 am, they didn’t even get to his surgery until 3:30 that afternoon, so he sat around in the carrier all day. I was not allowed in the vet with him due to Covid.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Good that you got the stool sample in - hope they are doing a full scale check on it (PCR), not just a fecal float check for parasites.

My vet is starting to ease up on the 'rules'. They just informed me that mask wearing is required and social distancing in the lobby. But, just a week or so ago, no one was allowed in the building at all.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Julie V

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
In response to the earlier comments: I am feeding Clyde the same food he was being fed prior to his trapping/surgery etc. Although, being the outside “neighboorhood cat” he has been for 2-3 years, there’s no telling if he was having diarrhea/vomiting prior to the trapping From the food I was feeding him (none in our yard or flower beds). I have seen a decline in his appearance while he was outside from the time he was bit/fight injury and trapping (I wasn’t really concerned since weather was getting hot and being a long hair cat thought he was just shedding). His fur became thinner, he was appearing thinner, he seemed to develop acne or what I though was mites/flea bites. When I took him in to the vet I relayed all this info to the receptionist and vet assistant who took him from me. They said they checked for mites, fleas, ticks and he was clean. However they did give him a flea/tick treatment (back of the neck stuff) just in case since I was bringing him inside.
could that flea treatment cause this diarrhea and nausea? He sure had a lot given to him (drug wise) on that vet day two weeks ago. (Sedative, vaccines, antibiotic, flea/tick treatment) He has had slight diarrhea since he started using the litter box (10 days ago), but I figured it was due to all the meds and stress he’s gone through.
Has anyone else had an experience similar to this that can give advice? I’ve tried a couple other vets for advice/scheduling appointment, but they are all very busy and the earliest anyone can see him is July 10!
So, sticking with this vet who is willing to see him/treat on short notice is my only option currently!

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It might be a bit late for this, but set up the carrier with a blanket or pillow and put his food in there. The best thing to do with a Cat that will likely need a lot of vet visits is to get them used to a carrier as a safe zone. If you put it under the table fort he may start resting in it.