Newly Adopted 3 Yr Old Male Cat Won’t Eat, Drink, Or Use Litter Box.

camorida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all!

I adopted a cat recently to save him from in-home euthanasia. He was very loving and affectionate when I first brought him home and confined him to my spare bed room. Out of nowhere, he started to moan and hiss at me and hide when just hours before he was rolling all over the floor and letting me pet him and just being a ham! I even watched him eat some of his food and we even played a little bit.

A day later, he refuses to drink water, eat food, and hasn’t touched his litter box (expect the 1st day he just laid in it, never used it, was very strange) and I don’t know what to do. I haven’t forced pet him since he started hissing at me. I’m concerned about the water intake and not using the litter box at all. I know it’s only been two days but how long can a cat go without drinking water? I am very nervous for him.

He’s updated on his shots and his previous owner took good care of him so I’m hoping it’s not a health problem.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! Welcome!!
Can you get some calming products?
Are you in an apartment - did he suddenly detect another animal in another apartment/condo/outside?
I hate to say, but I think he may need to go to your vet, but I'm just not sure. Do you know why the in-home euthanasia was planned?
Can you try tuna, Kentucky friend chicken, mackerel, goat milk, Kitten replacement milk? You might have to syringe feed him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

camorida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well the owner is moving to a place where no animals are allowed and if all his animals weren’t adopted by a certain date, he was going to euthanize them. Since I already have a cat and know how to take care of one, I decided to adopt that guys cat.

I made sure I locked up my cat in my bedroom before I brought the other cat inside so they couldn’t even see each other. So the new cat knows about the resident cat because I’m sure he can smell him and hear him yell when I leave him alone lol. But even then, he was still very chill.

When I tried to pet him one time, I shocked him by accident he had been rolling all over the floor so I don’t know if that caused him to be scared or what. He’s been in one of 2 places all day and I’m nervous.

camorida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And yes I am in an apartment, I gave him some wet food today and he ate almost half of it. Still hasn’t touched water or used the litter box, he merely laid in it.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Bless your heart for taking this guy. I think he's stressed and confused. Try some calming products, see if something there will help.
Oh maybe a humidifier?

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Thank you for adopting a cat that would have otherwise been put down. I'm sorry to hear you're experiencing a problem with your newly adopted guy. Did you bring him to your own vet for an exam after you brought him home, (even though you mentioned his previous owner took good care of him)? If not, I would recommend making an appointment. Do you know his age or what type of food he was eating before?

Here is an Article about helping your cat adjust to a new home that may be helpful: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home

Best of luck, please keep us updated on your progress. :alright:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2:
Thank you for taking in that poor unwanted cat. :petcat:
Hopefully in time, he and your resident cat will be best buds. :catlove:

But first you have to deal with him adjusting to his new home.

It's good that he's eaten some canned food. That will help with your concern about him not drinking, as wet food is mostly water.

Now just need to get him to use the litter box. Was he indoor only at the neighbour's place? Or did he go outside. If he went outside, he may not be familiar with litter boxes.

Can you get some Cat Attack litter? That sometimes helps. Or add some unfertilized potting soil to the top of the litter.

Also, you might want to get a black light to shine around the room, to ensure he isn't peeing somewhere other than the litter box.

Oh, make sure you wash your hands before you go in to his room. Just so he can't smell your cat's scent on them.

Here are some TCS articles with more info. Good luck.

How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding?
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats

Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
You, Your Cat And Stress
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And for when it's time to meet your resident cat:
Introducing Cats To Cats
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide
The Multi-cat Household

camorida

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update:
Thanks so much everyone for taking the time to respond! Roshi (his new name) has been eating and drinking and suing his litter box! His only problem is now when i try to give him food, water or clean his litter box, he hisses at me. I can’t even enter his room without him hissing at me and I’m honestly scared to go inside that he’ll scratch me or something. This cat is so weird in the fact that he’ll let me love on him and pet him and then out of no where he is super aggressive, I haven’t touched him in days and him just seeing me causes him to run at the door where i am and hiss. I am beyond stressed at this point and I am dreading coming home because of him.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi - pick up a calming product that's a spray, and put it on your clothing and hands. Also, don't give him direct eye contact.
Let me think out loud with a few other ideas....
Sit on the floor and read (poetry et al), work on your computer, don't look at him, put treats on the floor but let him approach you.

Play some music off the app Relax My Cat.

Good luck!!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Glad he's eating, drinking and using the litter box. But I can see how the hissing would be upsetting.

I wonder if he smells your resident cat on you? Make sure you wash you hands before you enter the room. And, yes, maybe spray your clothes with a calming spray.

And before you open the door, "announce" your arrival, by saying something like "Hi Roshi. Want some din din?" That way he'll know it's you opening the door, and that you are bringing him something good.

This article is for feral cats, but might have some helpful tips for you.
Handling Feral Cats