Newest Kittens Different Weights

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone.

There's been a lot of change with our kittens and we now have four! Our younger two Leo and Jessie were fighting a lot for dominance so we bought Milo a 7 month British Shorthair
Milo.JPG

and then despite a 3 cat limit I fell in love with Lucy another 7 month kitten
Lucy.JPG

Both are GCCF Certified Pedigree kittens after our many woes with dodgy breeders we are a lot more wary.

However, Milo the male is only 2.4kg and Lucy the female (9 days older) is 2.8kg. I'm concerned that Milo is so much smaller. Does anyone think this weight is normal - our 3 month kittens Leo and Jessie are already not much smaller and might overtake him! Also any advice on what /i could feed him as he mainly eats Royal Canin Second Age Kitten dried food but turns his nose up at wet food. He will occasionally eat James Wellbelowed tins but only a bit or he licks it or pushes it around the bowl and what he seemed to like one day the next day he sniffs it and walks away not in the least interested.

Lucy also won't eat any wet food but she's a nice healthy weight so not feeling concerned. I'm just worried that Milo isn't big and plump in the face and so much smaller. Thanks

Genesis123

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Beautiful cats! Adorable!

[Please note, I am not a vet.] You don't say if the two are siblings, but I don't think the difference in Lucy & Milo's weights is significant. Through their lives, their weights will fluctuate. most likely. (That is, Milo might seem skinny, at times, then plump, and back to skinny, again.) They may be developing on different time tables... esp. if they are from difference litters.

Also, I believe much depends on where they were positioned in the mother's womb, before birth. "Runts" -- in my experience, usually, the last ones born in a litter -- tend to be smaller than the rest and stay that way all their lives (compared to their siblings). Runts, also, don't nurse as much on Mom, often losing the fights for nipples and resigning themselves to naps. This may set eating habits for the rest of their lives (not needing or wanting as much). I had a "runt" (last born) that was as tall as her siblings, but always very slender. (She passed away at 16+ years old.) I have one, now -- in fact, born to the one I just mentioned -- who is very slender. He eats as much as any of my cats, but is very active -- and much more slender than any of my other cats. He's healthy, so I don't worry about him.

Of course, heredity is another factor that might play in to reasoning.

So, the bottom line is -- in my opinion (and, again, I'm not a vet) -- the little bit of difference in their weights -- esp. at their young age -- shouldn't be a concern, as long as they are (or Milo is), otherwise, healthy.

As for diet, my cats would kill for a steady diet of freeze-dried raw food. They are only familiar with Stella & Chewy brand, so far. You might try that (esp. on Milo).

Again, WOW! What adorable kittens!!!!! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks everyone. I probably needed to detail the facts better. Milo was rehomed to us as his original owner's had developed an allergic reaction to him. He was small when I got him but has definitely gotten thinner.

He's only been with us 2 and a half weeks so he's still trying to settle in. He was also already neutered and I'm not sure when he was done as i have none of his medical records.

Lucy is from a different part of the UK and her story is she was attacked by the adult ragdolls at her old house and being only 9 days older than Milo I figured she'd be the same size but shes huge and chunky!

Hopefully Milo will pick up weight. He has ham for a few days then next time won't touch it. We've also tried boiled chicken and tinned tuna. He seems to eat dried when he wants to so I'd say he is eating he just is either fussy or not desperately hungry. I guess with Lucy's size and being a BSH I was a bit worried.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Danglos

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks I will try that. Interestingly I've noticed today he picks up the odd piece of ham and runs away before he eats it and with boiled chicken he likes to drag it all over the floor before he eats it.