Newcomer asking for wisdom!

LuciaP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello from Memphis, Tennessee, and my household full of rescues. We have four pit bulls, five cats, seasonal mallards plus the opossums and raccoons that eat with the feral cats I feed (not included in the five cats mentioned).

all of my cats are young, from three different litters found in various bad situations like my dogs. There is a brother and sister long haired tabby among them, and it’s the brother I’m inquiring about. They are probably ten months old, abandoned in a box with siblings at a friend’s vet clinic when they were 2 or 3 weeks old, no mom. My friend kept them at her clinic til they were healthy and I took two. They have terrific personalities and are beloved family members. They are content and confident and they get regular vet care, as do all of my pets.They have cat doors so they come and go as they please. They are on flea and tick medicine which includes parasite control. They were spayed and neutered at six months.

here is where I need your wisdom. The male, friendliest cat I’ve ever had, has been shedding, normal at this time of year, but from his head only. It is an even shedding, not patchy. His personality is the same, his eating habits are the same but he has this bizarre pinhead. It started about 3 weeks ago and has not changed. His sister has not had this issue. I’ve texted with my vet, who said to bring him in though he wasn’t concerned, and I’be got an appointment next week but I’m hoping someone here might have ideas; my vet had never heard of this. I’ll attach a couple of photos but it is hard to see via the camera. Has anyone heard of a long haired cat who shed only the hair on his head?

the first photo shows how disproportionately he is shedding, it’s also a terrible pic of him so I included the second one to show he is a happy silly boy. The third one is from a month ago, before he shed at all. The last one is of his sister, who has not shed in the same manner.

thank you for your time.

Attachments

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
PreciousPetsCatsHello.gif
LuciaP and rescues, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
8800be739c60373dd272ab23a7e3c37a.jpg
to all of you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

Thank you for adopting these 2 kitties form the vet and for giving them a warm and fur-ever loving home and a safe sanctuary to live out their lives :clapcat:

As for the fur shedding, hang on for the answers or you may want to ask this question here in grooming-general-cat-care.6

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

LuciaP

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I’ll repost in the thread you suggested.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Thank you for your response. I’ll repost in the thread you suggested.
B23897A4-51D3-4BD3-9BCF-7803C930DEA6$L0$001~photo.GIF

You may get responses here too but you may get more response over at the Grooming and Cat Care section which is the more appropriate forum to post your questions for speedier replies.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you and your very large and varied family! Nope, never saw that before. Possibly some allergy...but why just the head! DO let us know what the vet said! And if it is a health thing, you might post about it in the Health forum. Someone else who is worried may see it.

GemsGem

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hi and welcome to the site :welcomesign:
Ive got no answers for the shedding head, but he does have some absolutely beautiful huge ear furnishings going on :loveeyes:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: It sounds like you have a lovely fur-mily. Thanks for rescuing all of them. :petcat:

I also don't have any answers about your kitten's shedding. Possibly some sort of allergy? Good that you're taking him to the vet. Hopefully they'll be able to figure out the cause.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome! I don't know why, but I have a feeling it is related to the flea and tick control. An allergy. Is it a topical, applied to the back of his neck? It looks like his neck and shoulder hair is shorter too. Cats should not be treated for fleas unless they actually have them, or the flea population is very high. I had a cat lose ALL his hair when I applied a flea medicine. and he had longer hair than yours. It was horrible!