Newborns

BTeresa511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am looking for a bit of advice. My 9 year old cat gave birth to one kitten 2 days ago. The kitten only weighs 2oz. It doesnt seem to be able to feed from mum cat, not sure if this is because its too small or that her nipples are very white and flat. We have been supplementing with bottle feeding kitten milk powder replacement milk every 2 hours but it only takes less than 1oz. We have another cat who is nursing with 4 week old kittens and tried small kitten with her and it fed, she was quite happy to let it feed. Mum cat is happy to cuddle kitten but the feeding is the issue. Any advice would be great

catapault

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi B BTeresa511 Welcome to TheCatSite.

Since the "wet nurse" mother cat is happy to feed the two day old kitten along with her own kittens why not continue. Just be sure that her 4 week old kittens (how many?) are not too rough with it. Weigh the little one daily to be sure it is gaining. Sure sounds like a good solution.

StefanZ StefanZ how does it sound to you?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, just to agree. You do have a working concept, so proceed. Why mend it if its not broken? :)

But as said, do monitor closely, take weigh every day. Now perhaps even every 12 hours till you are sure the little one gains good. Also, be sure the older ones arent disturbing. Perhaps let her feed while the others are napping?
Being that small, the margins are very thin, even if the kitten hopefully essentially healthy.

And continue to be prepared with supplement feeding.
What exactly kmr do you use?
Can you get raw goats milk?

B BTeresa511

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree with the above, but please spay your cat. No nine-year-old cat should be mating and bearing kittens. She is too old and it’s too much for her body. That’s why she has no milk. Please spay her so she can fully retire in peace.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you tell us where you are located (closest city and your state) we can help you to find a low-cost spay/neuter clinic in your area. It's really important for their health.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

BTeresa511

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone. Thank you for your replies. The mother cat although 9 years has always been a house cat but managed to get out the house.
The other cat who is nursing was a rescue cat.
The kitten is now more than double birth weight and doing great. Now feeding from mum as we think he was just too small and unable to stimulate to get milk in the beginning, therefore I have been doing 2 hourly bottle feeds. Its been exhausting but worth it to see him now thriving, eyes open and mum cat is doing a great job with him.