Newborn kittens

Ale_ivashkov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, 2 months ago a stray cat came to our house and we fed her once and never left 🙂 we noticed she was pregnant so we took care of her during her pregnancy (at least food and a place to sleep) and for the last few weeks we've kept her indoors since there's a construction going on in my house and we didn't want her to give birth in a dangerous place. On the 15th this month, she gave birth to 3 kittens and I've been checking on them a few times a day to make sure they're doing ok. They're all eating and seem well. The mommy is also very affectionate, she is eating well, drinking lots of water and using the litterbox. Last night, however, we noticed her belly is still big(?) So we touched her and felt movement inside. The delivery of the last kitten was about 6 pm on the 15th and today there are still no signs of discomfort/discharge/excesive meowing or going into labor again and I've read about the interrupted labor but usually the sites I've checked said this interrupted labor lasts for 24-36 hours. Should I be getting concerned? Also, if she goes into labor again, what happens with the kittens she's already delivered? She's not going to ignore/reject them, is she?

Sorry for the long post, I'm actually freaking out with this. I had my cat spayed so I wouldn't worry with pregnancies and then the stray came lol in my country not all vets are good and they're quite expensive so we can't really take her to a vet right away

These are the mom and her kittens. The dad is a cat without a tail so 2 of the kittens were born like this too 🙂

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will have any remaining kittens when they and her body are ready. It could be days or weeks, depending on when they were conceived. Most likely will be days, but as long as mom is not in distress there is no need to worry. Just wait it out!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ale_ivashkov

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both for the replies. Mom is still doing well, she's eating a lot but still no signs of going into labor or any distress. I now have a question regarding her kittens, tho. From the moment she gave birth to the 2nd and 3rd kitten, I noticed the 1st kitten was much smaller than the other 2. When they're feeding, he's pushed by the others (they fight for the same nipples) and I've seen him sleeping by himself quite often. I've tried a couple of times to direct him to eat, especially when the other 2 are asleep and he does seem to suckle once he's found the nipple. The mom hasn't rejected him either, even when I hold it in my hands to bring it close to her, she just licks him and purrs. I have no experience with newborn kittens so I don't know if I should feed him another way or just try for him to keep feeding from mom. Out of the 8 nipples she has, only 4 seem to be producing milk. 2 from each side. The rest of the nipples are already covered. I've attached some pics, the second one he's the only one feeding.

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
He’s a runt for sure! The best way to know if he’s gaining is to weigh daily in grams with a digital kitchen scale. He should gain 5-6 grams or more per day.

If he’s not gaining, you’ll need to supplement him with a quality kitten formula, such as powdered PetAg or Royal Canin, using a tiny 1 or 2mL syringe in the side of his mouth, drop by drop until he gets the hang of suckling the syringe. Let him swallow and breathe in between, and feed every couple of hours during the day.

Here’s a helpful link:

Syringe Feeding — Kitten Lady