Newborn kitten won’t eat and is skinny

Status
Not open for further replies.

Myamorales

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat had 5 babies about a week ago. 4 of them are nice and chunky and strong and I see them eating all the time. 1 of them though is much smaller than the rest and I always see it sleeping. But in the morning will see dry milk around their mouth. Which means that they are eating at one point. I’ve tried bottle feeding and not working. I don’t have the money to take them to the vet as I just took the dad. Any recommendations?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat had 5 babies about a week ago. 4 of them are nice and chunky and strong and I see them eating all the time. 1 of them though is much smaller than the rest and I always see it sleeping. But in the morning will see dry milk around their mouth. Which means that they are eating at one point. I’ve tried bottle feeding and not working. I don’t have the money to take them to the vet as I just took the dad. Any recommendations?
Very few vets are good at smallish weakish kittens... Although some vets have skilled vet technicians whom knows how to take care about a small kitten.

A. its good to weigh the runt every day, the same time, so you know for sure if it gains... A weak kitten may nurse, but be too weak to get anything substantial...

B. It may be wise to let the kitten nurse alone, when biggies are sleeping? This way, it wont be bothered by biggies... Unless you clearly see runt is undisturbed...

C. A kitten whom is used to momma, is often difficult to get bottle. In these cases, a syringe or a dropper may be the way... It IS a little tricky. but the kitten will refuse less...
Some had tried with a make up sponge filled with kmr / goats milk...

Anyway, you are doing right trying to supplement / giving the runt extra care.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Myamorales

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
That kitten passed away this morning. It’s a ver bad day for me and my cat family. Thanks for help.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry M Myamorales Sometimes there is nothing that can be done with the little ones, no matter how hard we try to help them. It sounds like you did everything you could.

We always lock the threads when a kitten doesn't make it, so I'll lock this one now. If you need any help with the rest of the litter please start a new thread in this forum.

When you feel ready it might help to start a thread in the kitten's memory in our Crossing the Bridge

Rest in peace little kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.