Newborn Kitten With Orange Poop

Lucky711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I am currently fostering a cat and her kittens. We took her in pregnant and she had 6 kittens yesterday. We are fostering her from our vets rescue group. They had no information on her when we were given her and I only just got her combo test results yesterday (after she had her kittens). She has had no shots nor deworming. Today I noticed one of the kittens had bright orange poop.
I asked the rescue lead about it and she didn’t know what it meant. She and the vet office went back and forth and at first they wanted me to bring everyone in which I didn’t feel comfortable, then they didn’t, then they did. They left it as they still don’t have any information for me, but want me to monitor and call tomorrow if it’s still orange or becomes red. This won’t exactly be easy to monitor, potentially impossible and I really don’t want to take in momma and all 6 kittens if not absolutely necessary.
Any suggestions on if there is concern and/or what should be done? I haven’t really been able to get much information about this whole process to begin with.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Orange poop is usually a sign of liver problems - too much bile. Hopefully it will correct. Make sure this kitten is getting enough to eat.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lucky711

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Orange poop is usually a sign of liver problems - too much bile. Hopefully it will correct. Make sure this kitten is getting enough to eat.
I weighed them yesterday once all birth was complete and then again today. They've all gained between 15 and 21 g in the first day. There are 3 black and 3 white, so they aren't easy to tell apart. I know it was one of the black ones, but I'm not entirely sure which one as I didn't attempt to tell that one apart at the time.

lacy2000

Windy City Fosters
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Orange poop could also indicate the presence of blood in the stool. Possibly from worms. There's not much you can do about it until they are dewormed (if it is worms). Kittens can be dewormed at 2-6 weeks (different vets have different opinions on that). As long as they are gaining weight, I wouldn't worry too much.

Another tip: if you do end up having to bring them all in, don't put mom in the same carrier as the kittens. I made that mistake and mom freaked out in the carrier and ended up breaking a kitten's arm.