Newborn Kitten Weights

lovelymainecoons

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone!

My Maine Coon just gave birth to her first litter four days ago, and the (five) kittens all seem to be doing well!

I have been weighing the kittens each day since then, and they are all gaining weight, but I was hoping that someone could tell me if their weights seem appropriate for day four:

Kitten 1: 6.0 oz (gained 0.7 ounces from yesterday)
Kitten 2: 5.8 oz (gained 0.6 ounces from yesterday)
Kitten 3: 4.6 oz (gained 0.5 ounces from yesterday)
Kitten 4: 6.1 oz (gained 0.6 ounces from yesterday)
Kitten 5: 5.3 oz (gained 0.7 ounces from yesterday)

I’d greatly appreciate any input! :)

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You’ve got hefty little Maine Coon babies! On Day 7 they only need to weigh 4 ounces, so yours are well ahead of the norm and that is a good and healthy sign!

Goals are 8 ounces at 2 weeks; 12 ounces at 3 weeks; and a full pound at 4 weeks. They then need to gain a pound a month for a few months. Being Maine Coons they are probably larger kittens to begin with.

I normally prefer that kittens are weighed in grams, especially when born at low birth rates, but it does not seem necessary here. Just watch for the runt lagging, and if a kitten begins to lose weight or does not gain at least 10 grams a day for more than 24 hours, be prepared to supplement.

We’d love pictures!

If you plan to continue breeding your cat, it’s one litter a year and then retired and spayed around age five. 😊

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
0,5 ounces is about 14 grammes. Its more than these 10 grammes of healthy minimum raise. As we use to say, they should add 10+ grams a day (but some DO add more, occasionally even thrice that).
So, lets say, 0,4 ounce as a healthy minimum?