Newborn Kitten Struggling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tay16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, we are really concerned with one of kittens,they were born 21 hrs ago, 4 of them. Mama is taking care of them well and there have been no issues until now. One of the kittens is meowing loudly and all of a sudden then he lays down and seems lifeless with stretched out little legs not laying curled up like the others, he seems distressed. He will meow very loud, like a scream, then lay down, he is doing this about every 45 seconds, his cry is getting less loud but he is still doing it,mama has begun to growl at him very quietly. We have put him to her and he will not latch, he seems he is trying. Do we need to supplement kitten formula? A clerk at the pet store said she had this happen once and suggested we syringe feed after 2 days. That if he is a poor latcher he prob is hungry. We are not sure he isn't acting like the others at all. Is it possible he is dying? what should we do?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
T Tay16

He may be dying, but try to save him anyway. Warm him up asap, then put honey on his gums for quick energy. Then try to give 1-2 mLs of formula by syringe - drop by drop in the side of the mouth.

If he won't take it, hold him close and comfort him so he passes warm and not alone.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tay16

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou, I'm bawling right now, we lost him. I had him on my chest in a warm soft blanket. I had a syringe and went out to get kitten formula when he first started crying and we realized he wasn't latching on to his mama. I did just what you said but omg it was awful and so very sad. :( Ty for this message.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I'm so sorry. I know how hard it is to lose a baby kitten.

Keep a close eye on the others. Make sure they are all latching and nursing. Weigh the kittens daily to make sure each kitten gains 6-10 grams per day.

catsknowme

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
:alright: Condolences on losing the little guy. I lost one a week ago in a very similar way. I found comfort and knowledge by watching a free online video at MaddysFund.org called "Critical Care of the Sick Neonatal Kitten". It lasts over an hour but you can pause and resume. I cant copy and paste a link from this cellphone but you should easily find it on your searchbar. :vibes: Prayers and vibes for the rest of the kitty family! Susan

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I'm so sorry that he didn't make it. You did everything you could for him.

I'll lock this thread now as a sign of respect.

Rest In Peace little kitten.

Status
Not open for further replies.