Newbie With A Tale Of Two Kitties

Aligator1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I am new here but I am looking for some help with my cat. I have two cats, Sunshine(Sunny) and Phoenix (Pheeny). I rescued Sunny almost a year ago from a very abusive guy living downstairs who abandoned her when he got kicked out of the apartments. She is a beautiful, itty bitty flame point Siamese about 2yrs old and she warmed up to me at first and no one else. I worked alot and was afraid she was lonely but was unsure how she'd act with another cat as company. My boss at the time after I had her a few weeks, kinda put me on the spot. Knowing I had talked about getting a cat and had Sunny, asked me to take his 2yr old male Phoenix because he had to move and the cat was not allowed. So, not being able to see a kitty homeless, I took Phoenix too... Sunny hated him at first. He was twice her size and so affectionate. To this day if she swings at him, he will not swing back. He does try to play and rarely she'll be seen chasing him under the bed. It's a very Pinky and the Brain kind of situation. My issue is Sunny, while they get along, and she is not aggressive, more of a loner most of the time. She will bite, scratch, growl etc when you have to care for her. She jumps like you will hurt her even though after she knows she's safe. She leads with claws and has a lot of arrogance almost bully like to Pheeny who just does more of the love me love me love me, bit. I just want her to be happy too. She rarely meows while Pheeny sings all night. Both will seek out my or my husband's lap but no one elses. I just want them to be happy and I just worry if Sunny may have some issues from her former person that she can't shake even being in a loving home. It's apparent she's flurished... but I worry about her arrogant, bullying, and yes "bitchy" behavior. Is it her personality or from the abuse she had? I just want to care for them both, the best I can. Any advice??? 2251801327117108-2017-12-05-11-09-01_b.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to The Cat Site. :wave3: And thank you for rescuing Sunny and Pheeny. :petcat:

I don't have any advice to offer on your behaviour questions. Hopefully a member with more experience with cats will see your post and reply. :catrub:

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to the forums. Your cats are lovely.
It sounds like Sunny was not properly socialized. Not surprising considering where she came from. Give her time, she will get better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aligator1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you both! And for putting this were it needed to be. I had no clue were to start. I guess maybe I should show some more patience, I just get a twinge when Sunny hides and Pheeny is practically climbing up me purring and cuddling. She does acknowledge the eye blinking thing and I do that every time I can remember to do it. She response back some I think I'm not a total loss as a human for her. (Both of their tags say my human is... Then my info) I just can't shake the things my neighbors had told me her ex person did to her. I had to treat a severe eye infection, an injured paw, excessive shedding from anxiety and random open areas on her body. She still shakes when picked up. As I said she has flourished though. She has healed physically, gained weight, loves treats and catnip... she even tried to get my dinner (tuna casserole) tonight lol. The apartment manager where we lived when we got her was who told me about her and I then and there offered to take her (didn't even charge us a pet deposit because he said I did him a favorite, when it was him that did the favor for Sunny and I) I really hope the guy is in jail. I'm told he came back looking for her and was told to leave and that his "precious" (I changed her name to Sunshine) was in good hands. I hope that she is at least socializing a little with us. She still runs and hides whenever there is anyone else over but comes out blinking at us when it's just the 3 or 4 of us. Thanks again, I do ramble lol they both amuse me and I love them like kids our kids are grown, so they are my fur babies and I want the best for them. If any more thoughts, I'd love them.

duckpond

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Wonderful that you took them in and care for them so much! I have 4 right now that i also received from different types of rescue situations. abused cats may never get completely over their issues, but they can defiantly be happy and be a lovely part of your family. cats, just like people have different tolerance for touch, and personal space invasion :) of my 4 only 1 likes for me to pick him up. 3 of the 4 love to cuddle and then there is my 1 little girl that for the most part does not want to be touched. so when she does come to me, always on her own terms, i have learned not to try to cuddle her unless she starts it, it is always special. i have had her for almost 3 years now and slowly she is accepting more physical affection. but often she just wants to be in the same room, or on the couch with us, but no touching. my 4 all hate any kind of care, except brushing. they growl, cry and try to run away too. :) 3 of them hate company, when anyone comes over that they don't see a lot they run to hide. cats all have different personality and like different thing, love her and let her show you what she is comfortable with, she will be happy. the other one sounds easy, like my big ole lovey boys... lol in my experience boy cats are easier going for the most part than girls. may just be my experience, i don't know.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Aligator1126

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you!!! I have begun reading quite a few articles... It's just crazy how spot on what I've read is about our furry kids are. I'll keep reading and posting. It is wonderful I've found others that appreciates the wonders of having a furry kids. I have tons of pics if anyone wants to see! I'm very proud of them lol (Pheeny can open latched doors!!!)