New Year's Resolutions???

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, Christmas day is almost at an end, and although some may still have Christmas gatherings on the horizon, has anyone put any thoughts into New Year's resolutions? Is it something you usually do? And have you been successful in past years?

I'm going to try (again :paperbag: ) to get more organized and not procrastinate. I also have gotten a little squishy around my midsection, so I want to work on that. Stress and chronic pain is a vicious cycle but some of what's going on with me can be helped if I just put my mind to it and DO IT. I don't like where my health and the state of my surroundings are headed, so it's best to fix a smaller problem than wait until it's harder to fix. Some things I can't change, but many I can so this year, I'm going get my a$$ in gear.
Specific things that I'll start with because I do like routine are.
Weekly meal prep.
Stay on top of my housework. Make a schedule and stick to it.
Work on my leg and neck issues.
Find other means to de-stress other than computer and tv.
Remember to take my supplements.
Do my facial routine EVERY night like I'm supposed to.

There are other things that I want to introduce and create routines for but it really all boils down to NOT procrastinating.

So what about you?

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm gonna try not to spend anything except the necessities for a few months. I have to get major maintenance on my car (timing belt, etc.) and I don't want to pull from savings.

I also want to play "survivor island" for a little while and only eat what's in the freezer. My freezer is too full and I often "forget" (too lazy to pull it out the day before to thaw, really) to eat what's in there, and just end up buying more. This should dovetail nicely with trying to save money too, lol.

I'd love to get into meal prep and keeping on top of housework, but if I try that all at once I know I'd get overwhelmed and quit them all.

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
I have GOT to do something about my weight. My new job is from 7 to 3:30, so I've told myself that I'm going to get a gym membership at the gym down the road and go for 30-45 minutes 3x a week.

We are going to do a lot to the house this year. I have goals to de-clutter and sell/donate what I can.

We are good about meal prepping, we just need to make healthier meal prep choices.

Eat out less. Once a week or fewer.

MissClouseau

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I started writing resolutions only couple years ago and been successful so far. There are some things that are there every year to gain more experiences, like...
  • Read a book from a genre I don't care for.
  • Pick up a book from an author I'm not familiar with, without reading anything about the book (just to surprise myself!)
  • Go to an exhibit on something I'm not familiar with/interested in
  • Go to a neighborhood I have never been to before
  • A documentary on a country or civilization I don't know well
I also decided to limit myself to two brands that are slightly on the expensive side for my like and will get either one clothing piece from them a month or nothing at all unless I truly need it. This is really mostly to help myself stop looking at online clothing stores. I've been doing that too much lately.

Also I will add "go on a date" to my experiences list. Not looking for a relationship right now but I figured dates don't have to go to relationship route.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Last year my resolution was not to buy any drinks in PET bottles and I've stuck to it. I've been refilling the same water bottle for a year and a half now.

This year I'm not going to accept any plastic bags when I go shopping and I'm going to try and avoid things made in China. I've heard some horrible things about the way goods are produced over there. I'd rather not buy anything, or pay a little extra for something made in a country with a better human rights record.

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am going to quit smoking. I'm going to do it this time.
I'm going to be a quitter and stay off the cigarettes this time.
I quit on the 23rd August this year so you can do it too. I was a dedicated smoker and couldn't imagine not smoking but I had a health scare because of it so don't wait until your health is in peril before you quit.
In my case the circulation in my leg was compromised and it got to the point where I could only walk a couple of hundred yards before the pain in my calf made me stop and rest. It was like cramp..
The good news is that since I quit, I can walk a couple of miles or so now and that's after only a few months of quit.
I joined a site called 'quittrain' (as mightyboosh again) which is a quit support group for folks who have kicked the habit. It's really helpful and I strongly recommend it if you're serious.
Good luck.

Anyway, to answer the question, I aim to lose some weight this year.

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
I've gained a ton of weight and it needs to come back off. I'll be coming back to the exercise thread and the weight thread, starting January 1.

kashmir64 kashmir64 and Tik cat's mum Tik cat's mum I was a 2-pack a day smoker for 20 years, tried quitting numerous times. And then one time, it just clicked. Maybe it would help if you posted about your days without your cigarettes on TCS, kind of like people who are trying to lose weight do. We're here for you! Talk about it! We'll help you!

kashmir64

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I was a 2-pack a day smoker for 20 years, tried quitting numerous times. And then one time, it just clicked. Maybe it would help if you posted about your days without your cigarettes on TCS, kind of like people who are trying to lose weight do. We're here for you! Talk about it! We'll help you!
Last night I tossed them, and anything relating (ashtray, lighter).
I have never felt better about myself. I realize it hasn't even been 12 hours and withdrawals will kick in before too long, but right now I feel as if I shed a skin that's chained me my whole life.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Jem

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have never felt better about myself. I realize it hasn't even been 12 hours and withdrawals will kick in before too long, but right now I feel as if I shed a skin that's chained me my whole life.
Write down everything you feel about yourself right now. Keep it close, and when or if you feel discouraged or you think "I can have just one..." or you're tempted, read it. It will give you a bit of a boost to keep going.
Having support and encouragement from others is always a great thing but what we tell ourselves is more powerful than what others say to us. But just in case.....You can do this!!!!!

aliceneko

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I want to try and exercise more. I've started walking to more places rather than relying on transport, which was last year's resolution, but now I want to take a step further and do something more such as jogging or swimming (I've not decided what to take up yet).

I also want to try and wake up earlier, because I'm terrible at that, lol. And I also want to have a digital detox at one point by staying in a completely remote place without any service. I spend way too much time online!

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I stopped almost all long term planning and resolutions several years ago as I noticed it did me more damage than good. I try to live by some intentions but without obsessing about it, like create least waste possible, be kinder towards humans etc. Also, I stick to what’s best for me, eg. exercise, be around cats, meditating. Maybe next year I’ll focus more on critically listening to my own thoughts and not act on them just because they are in my head..