New Years Eve / Day food

babyharley

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a tradition of making certain foods for NYE or New Years Day?

We don't. We will go to my Aunt & Uncle's house but we just have appetizers and snacks. Although I could go for a lobster or steak

miss mew

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
For NY eve no. We'll just order a pizza.

For New Year's Day I usually cook a ham. It's tradition, even though I don't really like ham

tara g

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nope no traditions here. Not sure if we'll do anything this year or not.

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Gary and I don't, but growing up the tradition was to have snacks late evening while watching the Times Square coverage of New Years.

Snacks each year were the same: we'd make Chex mix, and have potato chips with onion dip, and cheetos.

These were a REAL treat, as my dad has Type I diabetes, and we never had snacks or sweets in the house, except on special occassions (holidays and birthdays).

ut0pia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We make extremely fattening foods
But mostly snacks to munch on while drinking heavily. I don't drink, especially not this year since I have a cold and I'm already on nyquil...
Here in Bulgaria it's 6:50 pm, already getting really close to starting the festivities!! I'm a little nervous cuz we have fireworks, I just hope I am good at reading directions and don't blow anything up..

Winchester

In the kitchen with my cookies
Veteran
Purraise
Today (it's just DH and me):

Louisville Wings on the grill
Reuben Sandwiches on the grill
Grilled Shrimp
Pan-Fried Onion Dip with assorted crackers and veggies
A plate of hot appetizers
Bottle of Three Witches sparkling wine

Tomorrow (3 couples coming for dinner and cards):

Pork and Sauerkraut in the crock pot
Mashed Potatoes
Applesauce
Chocolate Cake with my Whipped Peanut Butter Frosting

Assorted Snacks and appetizer-type foods while playing cards
Assorted wine coolers and Smirnoff Ice

jcat

Mo(w)gli's can opener
Veteran
Purraise
We usually have ham, potato salad and coleslaw on New Year's Day, but DH bought loaf sausage (southern German specialty - you bake the raw mass and then slice it) today, so I'll be cooking that instead of ham.

swampwitch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonight we are having party food - finger foods like pigs in a blanket, veggies and dip, cookies, shrimp and cocktail sauce, smoked cheese and crackers, and nuts. I also see some wine and Rock Band in my future evening.

Tomorrow, no traditions, I am making Greek food - fresh greek salad, souvlaki chicken, tzatziki sauce with fresh mint, and pita bread.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Tonite alway shrimp, alaskan crab legs and this year I bought a couple small lobster tails.
I some garlic bread from work which I add more butter and garlic. Neil will have some carmel apple pie. We had some under baked brownies at work yesterday so I cut the edges and will have with vanilla bean ice cream. can't forget about the champagne!!

Tomorrow mimosa's and I have some chocolate almond scones-good time of year to work at a good bakery! We are going to BIL's house tomorrow for the Rose Bowl so I'm not sure what will be one the menu.

motoko9

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jcat

What's Hoppin' John? Rabbit?
No, it's black-eyed peas and rice. I am sure there are many different versions around, but I cook mine with sausage. I came across this particular recipe in a magazine one year.