New/worsening bald patches on cats neck

skorpse

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I noticed these bald spots on my cats neck/under chin. He is a year old, neutered, adopted a month ago. He had fleas when I first got him but was treated and haven't noticed or seen anything flea like since a week after I got him. I only found under five fleas on him plus some flea dirt but since then I haven’t found anything on him.

About a week ago or so, I noticed bald patches under his chin/neck and was keeping an eye on it until I noticed a red spot (picture below). His bowls are stainless steel.

He has a vet appointment in two days for vaccinations but this will be brought up.

What I am trying to ask is if anyone has ever dealt with anything like this before or could point me in the right direction? Could this be an allergic reaction to his food? Could it be from fleas that didn't start until 3 weeks after being treated for them? Is there anything I can do/change?

I’m not looking for a diagnosis, just super worried since it seems to be getting worse! Any advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

The first two photos were taken a couple days ago and the last photo was taken an hour ago.
F9E81B2D-7624-4346-AFB4-C5738E571ED6.jpeg
2C224410-8424-4188-83AE-7E3B3BED5DAA.jpeg
08F9E30C-EE4C-48D4-8E45-6CCF122C2B10.jpeg

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I don't think it is flea related, or at least not likely based on the timeline, and if he really doesn't have any more on him. But, other than that, I have no idea what it could be. Everything else OK with him - eating/drinking/using the litter box fine?

Certainly, it could be food allergies, especially if he isn't eating the same thing as he was before you adopted him. It can take a few weeks of 'new' food for signs of an allergy to show up. You might find out what he was eating then and revert back to that food for now. Also, compare the two foods to see what the differences are, and maybe that would help you identify some potential culprits in the new food. Food allergies are hard to decipher and correct.

Does he go outside? If so, he could have gotten into something outdoors? So, another thing to consider. Checking around your house to see if there is something he is scratching his chin and neck on might be another thing to do.

Since you have a couple of days to go before the vet visit, you can try a home remedy - chamomile tea. Buy chamomile tea bags - you can find them in most any grocery store and generally speaking those are Germain - you don't want English or any flavorings or additives. Brew a bag in water, cool the liquid to room temp and then dab some on those places with cotton rounds or a soft cloth - 2-3 times a day. Chamomile tea, which is a soothing and healing agent, also has anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties. It is safe for him to ingest should he do so. Keep taking pics so that you can see if it makes a difference or not - and also to share with the vet.