New to the site..new Cat Mom here!

rinkysmile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad to find this site. One of my friends referred me and there's tons of great info here. This is my first post. I am based in Atlanta, USA. We have two fur cat babies - Miko (our clumsy and funny boy, he turned a year old recently) and my beautiful princess Miley (1.5 yrs).
We had tried many wet cat food, Miley is very picky. Finally, they both settled on Applaws, but it's getting very expensive for my budget. What other wet cat food, you will suggest, which is almost similar to Applaws but good on a budget? We have tried Purina Pro Plan, Wellness, Instinct, and just recently Soulistic. Yeah, I know..they are picky. They liked Soulistic a bit but didn't like others at all. How about Kindfull, the new brand from Target? Has anyone tried it yet? I really appreciate your response and looking forward to learn more.
Thanks
Rinky

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The canned / wet Applaws food sold in the US are not nutritionally complete diets. They are just treat-type / complement meals meant to be fed in addition to dry food. The teeny tiny statement on the label indicates this.

Have you tried Tiki Cat? Or Weruva (same company as Soulistic)?

Fancy Feast and Friskies are affordable and the ingredients are decent.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Surprises me on the Purina Pro Plan, as there are SOO many different flavors and textures.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinkysmile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The canned / wet Applaws food sold in the US are not nutritionally complete diets. They are just treat-type / complement meals meant to be fed in addition to dry food. The teeny tiny statement on the label indicates this.

Have you tried Tiki Cat? Or Weruva (same company as Soulistic)?

Fancy Feast and Friskies are affordable and the ingredients are decent.
I didn’t know that Applaws was not nutritionally enough. Thank you ! They eat dry food too ! Wet cans in the morning and sometimes for dinner. Tiki , haven’t tried but price seems similar as Applaws. I was planning to try Weruva next, although they are just a little less expensive … Thank you !

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rinkysmile

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Surprises me on the Purina Pro Plan, as there are SOO many different flavors and textures.
Yes ! They used to love Purina ProPlan and that’s what they used to eat before we tried Applaws. early this year with the supply chain issue , we couldn’t find Purina Pro Plan , local PetSmart and online in Chewy too ! So tried Applaws and now they won’t go back to Purina ☹

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I didn’t know that Applaws was not nutritionally enough. Thank you ! They eat dry food too ! Wet cans in the morning and sometimes for dinner. Tiki , haven’t tried but price seems similar as Applaws. I was planning to try Weruva next, although they are just a little less expensive … Thank you !

That's good that they are also eating dry food. I'd limit the Applaws to occasional treats for now. If you look on the Applaws US web site, you'll see on every product page that the food is only "Complementary pet food – Feed with any dry food for a complete and balanced diet.'

Soulistic is actually the lesser expensive version of Weruva and sold at Petco, among other places. The ingredients and varieties are nearly identical. The same company makes both brands.

Does your cat have a preference for texture? Some like chunks. slices, etc and snub pate while other cats only eat pate. Pate foods give you the most food for the money as it's basically a solid mass of food.Textured foods are often in gravy or broth and there's often very little food in all that liquid.

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Actually a lot of vets recommend Fancy Feast Classics - but ONLY the Classics.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Actually a lot of vets recommend Fancy Feast Classics - but ONLY the Classics.
Why? What is the difference between Fancy Feast Classic and say Purely Fancy Feast? So much so that a vet would only recommend the Classic?

duck13

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Why? What is the difference between Fancy Feast Classic and say Purely Fancy Feast? So much so that a vet would only recommend the Classic?
My vet specialized in cat nutrition - he did not like the ingredients in the other types. I've had other vets say the same thing- Fancy Feast is fine if you stick to Classic.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
My vet specialized in cat nutrition - he did not like the ingredients in the other types. I've had other vets say the same thing- Fancy Feast is fine if you stick to Classic.
Huh. Can someone smarter than me tell me what difference is here that would preclude one from the other?

Fancy Feast Classic Chicken: (pate)
Chicken, Poultry Broth, Liver, Meat By-Products, Fish, Artificial And Natural Flavors, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Added Color, Salt, Minerals [Potassium Chloride, Magnesium Sulfate, Zinc Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Potassium Iodide], Taurine, Vitamins [Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Vitamin D-3 Supplement], Sodium Nitrite (To Promote Color Retention). D-6672.

33 calories/ounce

Purely Fancy Feast Chicken (flaked):
Chicken, Chicken Broth, Sunflower Seed Oil, Calcium Lactate, Tricalcium Phosphate, Guar Gum, Choline Chloride, Salt, Taurine, Minerals [Zinc Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Potassium Iodide, Sodium Selenite], Potassium Chloride, Xanthan Gum, Vitamins [Niacin (Vitamin B-3), Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin E Supplement, Calcium Pantothenate (Vitamin B-5), Vitamin A Supplement, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Riboflavin Supplement (Vitamin B-2), Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Menadione Sodium Bisulfite Complex (Vitamin K), Folic Acid (Vitamin B-9), Biotin (Vitamin B-7), Vitamin B-12 Supplement]. F640518.

24 calories/ounce

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Huh. Can someone smarter than me tell me what difference is here that would preclude one from the other?

Fancy Feast Classic Chicken: (pate)

Purely Fancy Feast Chicken (flaked):
Just like the Applaws in the U.S., the Purely is a complement food, not 100% nutritionally complete. I know it has vitamins, etc., but it says right on the package that it is not intended to be fed as a meal.

Morpheus1967

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Just like the Applaws in the U.S., the Purely is a complement food, not 100% nutritionally complete. I know it has vitamins, etc., but it says right on the package that it is not intended to be fed as a meal.
Well, not sure which ones you are looking at, but I have 2 different flavors here and neither of them say that on the package?
49C7F65C-1D64-468E-A589-0E755FDDB214.jpeg
3E918134-FF92-4F96-A0CA-C69707776F65.jpeg

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Well, not sure which ones you are looking at, but I have 2 different flavors here and neither of them say that on the package?
Oopsie! Mea culpa. I was looking at the Purely fillets, which are the complement foods. Sorry about that. I didn't even see those when I looked them up yesterday. Wow, I might have to try those with my picky guy. They look pretty good.

Ok, here's the deal. Fancy Feast in CANS, if they are not the Classics pate, are, IMHO too high in carbs. They have wheat gluten, etc in them. That's why so many of us here say that FF Classics are an ok food, but Classics on. Guess i am going to have to revise that statement to always include "canned" in my comments. Thanks for pointing that out.