New to site breeder!

Foldy

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I started breeding scottish folds 8 years ago and have just moved to breeding Maine Coons!
I never knew this site exsisted! I am excited to find this.

where does everyone post their kittens for sale?

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
They don't.
This site is not for selling cats at all.
Do you mean, where do breeders list their available cats?

As an owner of a Maine Coon, not a breeder, I look directly to the breeders website to ascertain if they are reputable or not. Some don't use websites anymore and prefer Facebook for instance. Networking at cat shows is another good way to find a breeder. Word of mouth will go a long way also.

GoKitty is known for allowing just about anyone to advertise with them. Kitten mills particularly. Much of the information is incorrect, or downright fraud in some instances.

I would think your mentor would be able to assist you with this too.

There are certain things I'd look for in a breeder. Being transparent about pedigrees, hands-on health testing (not just DNA), championships, having a legally prepared contract, providing litter registration, proper vaccinations and not letting the kittens go home until at minimum 12 weeks (14-16 so much better), etc.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Also participating in Shows - which serious breeders typically do; you make it known you have (sometimes) kittens for sale, and taking contact in advance is welcome.

Most if s erious buyers DO visit Shows nearbby