New to FIV, advice with supplements?

Agusforg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and sadly to the FIV world. I adopted my cat, Kuma (meaning bear in Japanese) from a refugee 2 years ago, and found out he is FIV+ just last week. He is about 9 years old and even though his blood tests came back ok, he is fighting a recurring fever at the moment that keeps me up at night in worry.
Our vet gave us some meds for the fever but no other recommendation as to supplements, vitamins etc. He said to just treat the symptoms as they arise.
I obviously don't want to just wait with my arms closed, so I have been looking at this and other blogs/forums and shortlisted the supplements I want to give to my fur baby. I would appreciate your advice/corrections about the following list:

1) Vetri-DMG 0.5 ml/day
2) NHV Felimm 0.5 ml twice/day (this one is quite expensive, since I am outside the US. Would appreciate references if someone is currently using it!)
3) Lactoferrin 250 mg/day ---> I have seen people seem to divide the dose into two oral administrations of 125 mg by splitting the capsule and dividing the content, but: doesn't this affect the absorbance of the Lactoferrin? I read that it can be affected by the acid in the stomach, hence the capsule. Is it still worth it to buy capsules, or is powder better?
4) Multivitamin
5) Lysine (not sure about the dose and effectiveness, but willing to use it if it does no harm just in case it might help)

Food: I am thinking about changing his current kibble (Purina One for 7+) to Royal Canin Digestive Support for the increased calories per serving and some aid regarding the gut biome. He also has one can of wet food per day. Any thoughts?

I am very anxious and worried about my little one, especially because the first vet we visited was quite pessimistic, so any comment or suggestion will be highly appreciated!!

Attachments

Last edited by a moderator:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My Wizard was fiv plus. I never gave him any supplements because he vomited from them. I tried giving him lysine because he had the weepy eyes, it’s for feline herpes. He was pretty healthy most of his life fortunately. Cats can live many years with fiv. He was 21 or so when he left me. He did always have the sensitive tummy and he eventually developed lymphoma and had crd too.

Fred and Cinn who are former free roamers are also fiv plus. They seem ok so far. They aren't touchable and I don’t give them any supplements. Fred has some sort of loud breathing at times, I am not sure what it is.They said he was ok when he came inside last year…he was trapped and went to dvm again when he came in due to limping.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats have FeLV, leukemia, an almost always fatal disease like FIV, and were very close to dying when we finally got them diagnosed three and a half years ago. I started them a DMG right away and it seems to have helped them the most. I then started them on LifeGold, a cancer supplement online at Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. I think DMG works much better than Lysine which it would replace. The fact that your cat, and mine, were older when they were diagnosed, helps because they are stronger and ahve more mature immune systems to fight off disease. They are all on the two above supplements which I separately mix in a divided packet of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors which they really like. I also keep it around in case one gets sick, it is often the only thing they will eat. Keeping your cat strictly inside and away from outside cats is a MUST! any small cold, or disease could kill him. i am blessed to have them this much longer despite that horrible disease. They are all fat and sassy! Bless you for helping your little one, may he live a long healthy and happy life! He is so lucky to have you......

Last edited:

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my cats have FeLV, leukemia, an almost always fatal disease like FIV, and were very close to dying when we finally got them diagnosed three and a half years ago. I started them a DMG right away and it seems to have helped them the most. I then started them on LifeGold, a cancer supplement online at Amazon, Walmart, Target, etc. I think DMG works much better than Lysine which it would replace. The fact that your cat, and mine, were older when they were diagnosed, helps because they are stronger and ahve more mature immune systems to fight off disease. They are all on the two above supplements which I separately mix in a divided packet of Delectable Lickables in the stew flavors which they really like. I also keep it around in case one gets sick, it is often the only thing they will eat. Keeping your cat strictly inside and away from outside cats is a MUST! any small cold, or disease could kill him. i am blessed to have them this much longer despite that horrible disease. They are all fat and sassy! Bless you for helping your little one, may he live a long healthy and happy life! He is so lucky to have you......
Fiv is rarely fatal, cats can live a long relatively healthy life with fiv. My Wizard lived to be 21-22. Two of my former outdoor guys now inside have it too and they are around 9-10 prolly now. Wizard was also rescued from outside but he was indoor outdoor for most of his life until later years, and then it was walks only.