New to cats and this forum! Help please!

meggers8806

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a kitten from the local humane society yesterday. She did great when I brought her home, exploring her little safe room I set up for her, she ate really well and drank some water. However, overnight it doesn't appear that she has drank anymore water, she hasn't used the litter box (she will go in it, she's dug around in it some but won't use it). Is there anything I should be doing? Or will she just figure it out in time? I'm just stressing out because I want my new fur baby to be happy and healthy! She's the only pet in the house, I work at home so I can be around her all the time, any advice would be very helpful. Thanks everyone!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I think she'll figure it out.  If she's eating wet food, she may not drink as much as you would expect her too.  Also, she many not have enough in her to eliminate yet.  I think as long as she's showing interest in the litter box eventually she'll figure it out.  Just make sure the litter box and her food supply are not right next to each other.  Many cats really dislike eating near where the poop
  As do we!

If it continues any longer than another day or so maybe a visit to the vet is in order to rule out any kind of problem. If you haven't already done so, it's important to establish yourself with a vet sooner than later once you bring the kitten home.  

Oh and pictures! We LOVE pictures!

EDIT: Something else to think about too is perhaps she does not like the litter you've picked out.  For kittens it needs to be non-clumping type (sometimes they will eat it when young out and the clumping type can cause obstructions).  If for some reason she was declawed, which I hope isn't the case, the litter could be painful to her too so that's another thing to consider.  Maybe try a different brand and see if that helps; they have many which are more attractive to cats than others. 

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

meggers8806

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi and welcome!

I think she'll figure it out.  If she's eating wet food, she may not drink as much as you would expect her too.  Also, she many not have enough in her to eliminate yet.  I think as long as she's showing interest in the litter box eventually she'll figure it out.  Just make sure the litter box and her food supply are not right next to each other.  Many cats really dislike eating near where the poop
  As do we!

If it continues any longer than another day or so maybe a visit to the vet is in order to rule out any kind of problem. If you haven't already done so, it's important to establish yourself with a vet sooner than later once you bring the kitten home.  

Oh and pictures! We LOVE pictures!

EDIT: Something else to think about too is perhaps she does not like the litter you've picked out.  For kittens it needs to be non-clumping type (sometimes they will eat it when young out and the clumping type can cause obstructions).  If for some reason she was declawed, which I hope isn't the case, the litter could be painful to her too so that's another thing to consider.  Maybe try a different brand and see if that helps; they have many which are more attractive to cats than others. 
Apparently I panicked a little too soon, she has definitely used the litter box. She's just very good at burying so I had to dig around more than I expected to find the little clumps. She's not declawed, I know how inhumane that is :( I could never do that to a kitty! Where's the best place to post pictures? I'm definitely taking loads of them!

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Apparently I panicked a little too soon, she has definitely used the litter box. She's just very good at burying so I had to dig around more than I expected to find the little clumps. She's not declawed, I know how inhumane that is
I could never do that to a kitty! Where's the best place to post pictures? I'm definitely taking loads of them!
Haha! That's awesome!  

We have a general forum area for cat pix of all kinds.  Start here!  It's the Introduce Yourself Thread

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/20/new-cats-on-the-block

Also...

http://www.thecatsite.com/f/29/fur-pictures-and-videos-only

Last edited: