New To Cat Fostering. Whew!

momto4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A pregnant cat adopted my husband while I was out of town. She quickly gave birth to two kittens. They will be 9 weeks old in a few days. The local HS is helping find homes.

We are also fostering a cat for the HS. We thought she would have the usual 4 to 5 kittens.... nope she had EIGHT.

Currently, we have one medium, goofy dog who desperately wants to play with the older kittens and our 3 boys (6, 12, & 16 year old cats)... PLUS the 2 mommas and their collective TEN kittens. What a way to begin our fostering!

The 8 are 4 days old and range from 3.2 to 4.3 ounces (they started out about 2.5 to 3.2). I have ordered a Miricle Nipple to use, if any will take to it. Momma cat is getting as much KMR, wet food, and kitten kibble as she will eat. In the past four days, she has consumed about 10 oz of the 14 oz. can of KMR, she loves the stuff. Because she is basically nursing 24/7, I have been feeding her with a spoon when the kittens will not let her eat in peace. Today, she got about 2 minutes of supper before they all woke up.

Momma cat looks so exhausted. Any suggestions on what else I can do to support her? I try to give her lots of loving and eye runs.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Goats milk is good.
Egg yolk is good. May be raw if you dont have problems with salomonella in your country.
Some nice vitamine pasta. Nutri-cal perhaps.
Add some glucose sugar dextrose. If you cant find it a little white caro syrup or honey.

Perhaps rotating the kittens?
4 on eating 4 off sleeping...

Can the other female help out?
She should be able to nurse.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

momto4

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Other mom has almost stopped nursing. She is also rather grumpy.

I wondered about yolks. I made tunafish sandwiches tonight and have extra yolks. I will give those to her. I have lots of honey- never thought of that!

Thanks for the suggestions.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Honey is verysweet so its difficult to give much to aconscious cat.

But its always some extra calories even if you add just a little.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Mama can have cheese, full fat yogurt, and would probably love plain boiled chicken and broth with a pinch of salt.

Supplementing the kittens 2-3 times a day will help mom, as will cleaning all their bottoms with a warm damp cloth 2-3 times a day.

Here is a helpful video:

Syringe Feeding

And for your reading pleasure:

6 Amazing Cat Rescue Stories That Will Melt Your Heart

:)