New Stray

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
For the last few weeks I have seen a new cat come to feed on my porch. I can’t tell if she is young or old but she is super skinny and getting skinnier by the day. She always peeks inside when I open the door But keeps her distance, and today for the first time ever she came up and was rubbing against me and let me pet her and was very friendly. I’m running out of room and I really can’t handle another cat, yet winter will be here soon and I don’t think she would make it. I’m going to get her in a carrier and see if I can get her to the Vet for a check up and get her fixed if she is not already fixed. But then what! We all know how difficult it is to find homes for cats, do I get her fat and healthy then take her to the Humane Society? I already have 3 cats on the main floor, Rocky is in my basement laundry and now the only place I can keep this kitty is in a small office in the basement, but that isn’t a good long term solution for her. To top it all off my daughter is moving back home in a few months and bringing her dog with her, though it’s deaf and partially blind I’m feeling a bit overwhelmed with furry friends.
How can I help this new kitty without it becoming a permanent fixture? I don’t do Facebook and I’m not a social person so I don’t have a huge group of people to network with to find a home for her.

Sylvia Jones

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Bless you for helping her Maybe your vet will know someone willing to help Also have you ever tried the Nextdoor app? I don’t do Facebook either but Nextdoor is a good place to find resorses for a lot of things including kitty’s

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was talking with a neighbor and she saw me and came running up to me and was rubbing all over and showing her belly and followed me to the garage door, so it took just a few attempts and I got her in the carrier with minimal resistance. She is now in the basement office and set up for the short term. I’ll call the vet and see if they can get her in, she probably has worms and her eyes seem to bother her, she squints. She very very loving poor thing was obviously someone’s pet, either lost, dumped or left behind.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She seems very tame, and very thin. There is a sad story here someplace more than likely. Getting her inside is a start and even if she has to live in that room for a while until you figure out what to do she may be very happy. I have had strays like her think that they were in a palace once they made it to a safe, warm bathroom.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well she is a he! Got him to the Vet; he’s healthy except some cruel person declawed him (imho it’s cruel) on all 4 paws, and he’s had no way to defend himself! He weighs 5.5 lbs and is about 6-7 years old. He got dose of revolution, a rabies and feline booster, he’s negative for anything and his bloodwork looks good, no microchip.
Hes super duper affectionate with anyone and I can’t imagine why anyone would abandon such a sweet boy, especially after declawing him. He’s in my office while I figure out what to do; I did ask the vet to keep him in mind if anyone is looking for a wonderful companion who cares for their animals.

klunick

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well she is a he! Got him to the Vet; he’s healthy except some cruel person declawed him (imho it’s cruel) on all 4 paws, and he’s had no way to defend himself! He weighs 5.5 lbs and is about 6-7 years old. He got dose of revolution, a rabies and feline booster, he’s negative for anything and his bloodwork looks good, no microchip.
Hes super duper affectionate with anyone and I can’t imagine why anyone would abandon such a sweet boy, especially after declawing him. He’s in my office while I figure out what to do; I did ask the vet to keep him in mind if anyone is looking for a wonderful companion who cares for their animals.
Maybe contact some local pet boarding places to see if they can put up a flyer at the front desk about adopting this little boy.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well he seems to be settling in ok, he’s eating and has good litter box habits. My office is actually a combo office small kitchen and he seems to be happier on top of the kitchen cabinets. When I’m in the basement I open the door to the office and let him roam around and vice versa, if I’m in the office I leave the door open so he can explore the basement. For now I’m shutting him in the office at night.
I am not sure if I am going to keep him or not. I feel like he chose me, and if one person dumped him there is no guarantee it won’t happen again, (sorry I have very little faith in my fellow man). I doubt very much that I will even try to introduce him to my resident cats. Bubba, a big Siamese & Sissy, my bossy diva tabby, are always picking on my itty bitty, black panther kitty, Tinker. While she will stand up for herself, and on occasion instigate fights, I don’t feel it would be wise to add fuel to the fire and I don’t want the new kitty to ever be harassed by Bubba and Sissy since he has no way to defend himself.
So now I have the 3 Amigos on the main floor, they have a dedicated “cat room” on the second floor and restricted access to the rest of the house. I have Rocky still in my closed off laundry room in the basement, I still feel bad for him but he is still a biter and still terrified in any room other than his laundry room and the garage! i‘m still baffled by him, He’s a 15 lb scaredy-cat that loves to bite. And now I have Henry, in my office; he has no access to the section where Rocky is and thankfully I can close off the upstairs and downstairs so no chance of accidental encounters with the 3 Amigos.

Attachments

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
No worries...I have a dim view of human nature as well. You are immensely kind and I am horrified to read just now that all 4 feet are declawed and he was out on his own. This is a very special case, and if you cannot keep him, you might be able to use his plight to get some rescue groups to help you find a home for him. This really is one step beyond the "a stray showed up at my house" story. But I agree with you that it is so important that he never be let out again.

I wonder if he belonged to an elderly person, was declawed as they felt that is what you need to do for an indoor cat (which does mean he probably lived inside for at least part of his life), then they died and the family dumped him.

Catsnquilts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Well Henry has found a new home! I’m so happy for him!

Babypaws

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Good news! So glad you took him in, poor thing. I can’t imagine anyone having him declawed and especially all four paws. It must have been very painful for him, it should be against the law in all States. Can’t imagine what vet would have agreed to do it in the first place...
But a happy ending for Henry 😻