New Soon-to-be Siberian Kitten Parent!

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello friends! I'm excited to say that my boyfriend and I will be the proud parents/slaves to a beautiful Siberian kitten with a silly face.

As many of us here, I absolutely adore cats. My family has always loved cats and we fostered, raised, and adopted many kittens and cats throughout my childhood up to about when I was graduating high school. If someone found a litter of motherless kittens or if someone's grandma's cat-owning friend passed away, we'd take them in, raise or care them to our best ability and adopt them out. We'd also TNR community cats before I even knew it was a thing. We of course had our own "permanent" family cats too.

I moved out at 18/19 and haven't had a cat since then--mostly due to living in places that did not allow pets. I dreamed that by my mid-20's when my career is stable and I have a pet-friendly home, I shall have a cat companion and I will give her/him an amazing life. I'm 26 now and have 2 out of the 3! Then I thought this dream would have to keep being a dream because my boyfriend happens to be allergic to cats! (He's the one so I can't get rid of him lol) but he truly loves cats as well so he has been very sad he is allergic to them.

Fortunately, we found a silver lining--cats that possibly produce less allergens! We both know the risk and the lack of science-based evidence, but the positive testimonials and modern allergy relieving methods leave us feeling incredibly hopeful. Positivity goes a long way!

And without further ado, I'm excited to introduce Shika!

She is a blue/silver Torbie Siberian kitten and will be "delivered" to us by the end of July when she is about 14 weeks old. There probably isn't a soul I haven't told about getting her. My family is also very excited for us to have this kitten that they even scheduled in time to meet her haha! Every time they visit, they would say "I can't believe you guys don't have a cat yet." Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope to learn a lot from this forum!

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
9CBECA2D-0568-4246-8732-790787AD56BA.gif
Shikaslate, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
6822BDCD-0DC9-414E-8A80-E121D4CE7DC2.gif
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Shika is pretty! :lovecat4: :lovecat3: Do post more photos of her later when she had settled down.

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forum headings and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
She’s beautiful! Congratulations! I do hope you continue updating us with pictures of Shika as she grows up!

See you around! :wave3:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to you, your brave, brave boyfriend, and to little Shika, who is just stunning! I've known any number of people with cat allergies who did very well with Siberians, although a few did have to resort to a Claratin or two a day. And that's a bit of nothing, when compared to the joy of being able to have a cat!

Royalty

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Hello friends! I'm excited to say that my boyfriend and I will be the proud parents/slaves to a beautiful Siberian kitten with a silly face.

As many of us here, I absolutely adore cats. My family has always loved cats and we fostered, raised, and adopted many kittens and cats throughout my childhood up to about when I was graduating high school. If someone found a litter of motherless kittens or if someone's grandma's cat-owning friend passed away, we'd take them in, raise or care them to our best ability and adopt them out. We'd also TNR community cats before I even knew it was a thing. We of course had our own "permanent" family cats too.

I moved out at 18/19 and haven't had a cat since then--mostly due to living in places that did not allow pets. I dreamed that by my mid-20's when my career is stable and I have a pet-friendly home, I shall have a cat companion and I will give her/him an amazing life. I'm 26 now and have 2 out of the 3! Then I thought this dream would have to keep being a dream because my boyfriend happens to be allergic to cats! (He's the one so I can't get rid of him lol) but he truly loves cats as well so he has been very sad he is allergic to them.

Fortunately, we found a silver lining--cats that possibly produce less allergens! We both know the risk and the lack of science-based evidence, but the positive testimonials and modern allergy relieving methods leave us feeling incredibly hopeful. Positivity goes a long way!

And without further ado, I'm excited to introduce Shika!

She is a blue/silver Torbie Siberian kitten and will be "delivered" to us by the end of July when she is about 14 weeks old. There probably isn't a soul I haven't told about getting her. My family is also very excited for us to have this kitten that they even scheduled in time to meet her haha! Every time they visit, they would say "I can't believe you guys don't have a cat yet." Anyway, thank you for reading and I hope to learn a lot from this forum!
Awww I'm excited for you, I bet you are counting the days / hours aren't you please post lots of pics of her

Gauntylgrym

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm TERRIBLY allergic to cats, always have been...but not siberians! We now have two, and I have absolutely zero reactions, and I handle them both quite a bit.

Congrats on the new addition. This breed is unbelievably affectionate and social. My girl Shiva loves being in my lap and just being around me in general even if she doesn't want to be touched at times.

Enjoy the new kitten once she arrives. They're tremendously wonderful cats!

Boris Diamond

Cat Valet
Top Cat
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site! Shika is a beautiful kitten. I have had several Siberians and living with one is a great experience! Leonid is the one I have now, and he is one boss cat! I hope you enjoy your Siberian as much as I enjoy mine!

Siberians have less Fel factors in their saliva, and also only 10% the amount of sebaceous glands, meaning less dander. I hope you friend has a great experience with Shika, allergy-wise. So nice to be able to enjoy cats again!:petcat:

Loving Mickey

Mickey , my heart and soul Angel kitty
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello and welcome!
Your new kitty is truly beautiful!
I know how excited you must be waiting to take her home. Hopefully , the time will pass quickly and your kitty will be happily in your arms.
Be sure to post updates and more pictures once you have your precious baby home!
We just love pictures here!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
A warm and friendly welcome to TCS! :welcomesign: As you can tell by the above posts we are all excited for you to bring Shika home. :lovecat3: She is absolutely precious and I know you already adore her. We will be expecting more pics as she grows up. :camera: Please feel free to post them here: Fur Pictures and Videos Only!

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Congrats on getting your dream kitten! I just got my Siberian kitten earlier this week, he’s 14 weeks old tomorrow. He’s a silver tabby. They’re absolutely the sweetest and most affectionate cats. They act more like dogs. I’m also allergic to cats. He’s given me less allergies, although the allergies are still there. I thought I’d give you some tips!

When I first got him, I felt fine. I felt fine at the breeders house and I felt fine holding them. However, the second day I got hives after playing with him. I recommend buying “Allerpet” which blocks the allergen. I realized his butt was dirty so I wiped him down very well with Allerpet and now no hives. Make sure you brush him everyday. I also have a HEPA filter. It helps get rid of the smell of the litter box apart from also removing allergens. I’m also taking 2 different allergy medications (Singulair and Claritin - Claritin helps with nasal allergies and singulair helps with any breathing allergies as well as nasal allergies, you can take both). I also use an inhaler as needed. Other than occasional sneezing, I’ve been able to sleep with him at night. I recommend investing in those things! He was really stinky and we also bathed him (which also removes allergen- i used oster anti cat dander shampoo). I’m able to pet him well. You can try following some of these things, it will probably help!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Shikaslate

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CurlyEmy CurlyEmy Congrats on your kitten! A very exciting time! Less than 6 days left for us :) Time goes so slowly!

We actually got most of the stuff you recommended! Well, we already have a HEPA filter for the bedroom and now we have an Airdog Purifier for our living room next to my bf's desk where he spends most of his time at home. I'll have to consider placing it next to the litter box instead lol. We're using Feline Pine litter which reviews said it was good for their allergies at least. Then we got Allerpet, a (knock-off) Roomba for daily cleaning, and Nature's Miracle anti dander shampoo. I'll have to look into Oster if NM doesn't work out! My bf regularly takes Claritin D and uses an inhaler. My family thinks we're a bit crazy for buying so much stuff, but we're both just very excited to have this kitten and we must take all precautions necessary as you know.

We actually didn't do an allergy test at the breeder's because it takes longer than an hour for my bf's reactions to show. My grandparents' have a few domestic shorthair cats (and dogs which he's also allergic to) and when we visit for the holidays, he doesn't have a reaction for the first few hours or so.

All in all, great tips for allergy sufferers looking into adding a Siberian kitty or any kitty to their home. Btw how often do you plan on bathing your kitten?

CurlyEmy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
CurlyEmy CurlyEmy Congrats on your kitten! A very exciting time! Less than 6 days left for us :) Time goes so slowly!

We actually got most of the stuff you recommended! Well, we already have a HEPA filter for the bedroom and now we have an Airdog Purifier for our living room next to my bf's desk where he spends most of his time at home. I'll have to consider placing it next to the litter box instead lol. We're using Feline Pine litter which reviews said it was good for their allergies at least. Then we got Allerpet, a (knock-off) Roomba for daily cleaning, and Nature's Miracle anti dander shampoo. I'll have to look into Oster if NM doesn't work out! My bf regularly takes Claritin D and uses an inhaler. My family thinks we're a bit crazy for buying so much stuff, but we're both just very excited to have this kitten and we must take all precautions necessary as you know.

We actually didn't do an allergy test at the breeder's because it takes longer than an hour for my bf's reactions to show. My grandparents' have a few domestic shorthair cats (and dogs which he's also allergic to) and when we visit for the holidays, he doesn't have a reaction for the first few hours or so.

All in all, great tips for allergy sufferers looking into adding a Siberian kitty or any kitty to their home. Btw how often do you plan on bathing your kitten?
You sound very prepared to me!

I was at the breeders house for an hour and a half with no reaction. I held his father (whom is not neutered so his allergen should be stronger) and has never bathed and didn’t get a reaction! I also held him when he was 8 weeks with no reaction, so it was a surprise for me to get a reaction later once I got him.

I’m thinking of bathing him every 2-4 weeks. At least once a month. He was not happy to be bathed yesterday lol. But I want him to hopefully get used to it. He relaxed at the end of his bath.

Btw I apologize for any previous grammar/spelling mistakes, my kitten does not let me type lol!

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
OMG! :cloud9: Shika is beautiful! And Siberians have lovely personalities. Welcome to TCS!