New Rescue Pregnant!!!

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hello everyone,im a cat mama of 4 and I rescue friendly strays that show up at my door. Ive rescued a 8mth old female 2 nights ago. here in philly the weather has been very cold and she showed up at my door 2 nights ago when my husband took out the trash. before i started to find her a forever home we took her to a low cost animal clinic to find out her gender,health condition and check for a chip vet said she was 8mth old female that is 85% chance pregnant and that her heart beats were abnormal and she said it was arrhythmia. her felv test was negative and she received rabies and other shots .vet said that she recommends taking her to a regular vet to check her heart and to get her fixed. they could spay her but if her heart sounded irregular they may refuse the surgery because its just a low cost well clinic.vet said it may be nothing serious and that maybe the vet visit and new surroundings caused her heart to beat irregular. I took her home where i have a saferoom. shes been eating and drinking normal,using the litter box fine. shes been sleeping alot. she has no intrest in any toys at all. she walks around here and there,she likes to be rubbed but is very territorial of the bed i made for her. I dont know what to do,I cant find her a home with her being pregnant,I dont know wether to schedule a spay or schedule her a visit to get her heart checked first? I dont know how expensive it would be,or how much time i will have if she is 100% pregnant.Ive never delt with a pregnant cat before.we have a local animal shelter that will probably spay her clip her ear and return her but i dont think its a no kill shelter and i just cant think of what can happen to her. ive rescued over a dozen of strays,spayed,shots and found them homes all out of my pocket,but this one is a hard one. any advice on arrhymia? spaying a pregnant cat? Im so stressed i dont know where to start.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Pregnant cats absolutely can be spayed. Depending on how far along she is, it might not be much more complicated than the typical spay. The arrhythmia I think would be the main concern (as she may be more sensitive to anesthesia), but that would be a question for your vet. I would recommend contacting the low-cost clinic and talking with the vet there, and ask if they would be willing to spay her. It could be that she just requires more monitoring during surgery.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have spayed pregnant cats on several occasions and there was absolutely nothing different about it. I agree that the heart needs to be monitored and checked but would not hesitate to schedule a spay when you are given the all clear from your vet or low cost service.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I've spayed pregnant cats as well. There is more bleeding during the surgery and a longer recovery time, and I advise you ask them to give her a shot of pain medication before discharging her and also a few pain pills. Hopefully even a low cost clinic will offer this for an extra charge.

Is there a Humane Society near you? They often have low cost spay deals and they also have vets who could exam her heart. Did the clinic you took her to recommend certain tests be done? Taking her to another vet for a second opinion sounds like a good idea.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just got a cat spayed that was in heat. it was twenty dollars more for the sugery, the vet explained the vessels are engorged and they need to be more careful. An arrhythmia and being pregnant are conditions that need to be known by the vet doing the surgery so they can monitor her differently, administer anesthesia differently, and have life saving equipment at the ready to use if they need to. Only the surgeon would know if surgery is possible. Giving birth may be as stressful or even more stressful then the surgery. I have lost two cats giving birth, but none to spaying. To releaev YOUR stress teh next step would be to pick a vet to do teh surgery and bring teh cat in for a pre exam and ask his opinion. Let his experyise guide you to a good decision. All the luck!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nena00stray

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just got a cat spayed that was in heat. it was twenty dollars more for the sugery, the vet explained the vessels are engorged and they need to be more careful. An arrhythmia and being pregnant are conditions that need to be known by the vet doing the surgery so they can monitor her differently, administer anesthesia differently, and have life saving equipment at the ready to use if they need to. Only the surgeon would know if surgery is possible. Giving birth may be as stressful or even more stressful then the surgery. I have lost two cats giving birth, but none to spaying. To releaev YOUR stress teh next step would be to pick a vet to do teh surgery and bring teh cat in for a pre exam and ask his opinion. Let his experyise guide you to a good decision. All the luck!

thank you for your response.her surgery is scheduled for tom am. im so nervous,im hoping everything goes well. I cant imagine losing a cat due to giving birth. that must of been hard.