New Rescue Cat

Emma71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Earlier this week I lost my beautiful 21 year old cat. The house just doesn't seem right without a cat and yesterday I visited the cat shelter and adopted a 10 year old female tabby cat who had been living as a stray before ending up at the shelter. She was being overlooked in favour of younger cats and kittens and I just fell in love with her.

Nothing can replace my previous cat and a couple of people have said that I shouldn't have got another cat so soon. But I know that I can give her a great home and that from now on shell always be well looked after, loved and she'll never want for anything again.

I can pick her up later today and I can't wait!! She's had such a hard life and I just want to make sure she's happy, healthy and loved.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Hello E Emma71 , welcome to TCS :wave3:

So sorry to hear about the lost of your kitty :alright: :grouphug: but am glad that you adopted one from the shelter and giving her a warm and loving home :clap:

Do browse around the site and check out the Articles section for the good reads and feel free to ask questions if you have any.

And please post photos of your new kitty for us to see :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Yes, we'd love to see pictures!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Emma71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_0980.jpg
I picked her up earlier today. She's beautiful and she seems to have made herself at home already as you can see!!

Has anyone got any advice on how long I should keep her indoors for before letting her out for the first time? The shelter suggested four weeks, but this seems like a long time to me.

She's spayed, microchipped and her vaccinations are all up to date

Thank you

Emma71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Her name is Callie

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
View attachment 184365 I picked her up earlier today. She's beautiful and she seems to have made herself at home already as you can see!!

Has anyone got any advice on how long I should keep her indoors for before letting her out for the first time? The shelter suggested four weeks, but this seems like a long time to me.

She's spayed, microchipped and her vaccinations are all up to date

Thank you
She's so cute! I love that picture! To answer your question about when you can let her outside, you could also keep her as an indoor cat, there's lots of dangers for outdoor kitties (like run-ins with dogs, other cats, foxes, wolves, bobcats, raccoons, getting hit by cars, contracting infectious disease like FIV or FIP, contracting heartworm). You could also harness train her, or build a catio, which are ways for her to explore the outdoors safely.

Emma71

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for replying I really appreciate it. I'd rather not keep her as an indoor cat. No offence to anyone who keeps indoor cats, I'm sure it's right for a lot of people and a lot of cats, but I'd rather let her explore outside. There's virtually no traffic where I live and luckily in England we don't have wolves, bobcats or racoons!! I don't even know what a bobcat is!!

I think I'll keep her inside for the four weeks recommended by the shelter.

Thanks again

margecat

Mentor
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Callie is beautiful, and I agree 100% with what you did. I think the best way of honoring a lost pet is to rescue and give a loving home to another one as soon as possible.