New (possibly stray) cat. Trying to determine gender and neuter status.

rosie_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have a fair amount of strays (5+) in our neighborhood but this one is new. He is very friendly and extremely vocal. I gave him a few treats because he came up to my porch meowing. I am not sure if giving him treats was a good idea either as I used to be somewhat afraid of cats until we got Rosie in November. He might be someone's pet because he seems to be clean and has shiny fur.

IMG_20200611_202203.jpg
When I was out later, he came by again and I was able to get a pic of the, um, back end.
IMG_20200611_202155.jpg

I think from what I can tell it's a boy and probably neutered. But I am new to cats so not entirely sure.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosie_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
You are right. He’s a boy! And a handsome looking boy!
Are you able to tell if he's neutered?

And yes he is absolutely gorgeous. He has a stripe of thick and longer black fur on his back.
IMG_20200611_202131.jpg

jefferd18

Ms. Jeff's Legacy
Top Cat
Purraise
He looks like he is neutered but that does not necessarily mean he is somebody's cat. Jeff was spayed when I met her but she was also on her own. I would make some inquiries about him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

rosie_kitty

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
He looks like he is neutered but that does not necessarily mean he is somebody's cat. Jeff was spayed when I met her but she was also on her own. I would make some inquiries about him.
That's a good point. I will see if my neighborhood has a NextDoor or something. Thanks everyone for the help!

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yep, neutered male. Looks fairly young. Make sure he gets scanned for a microchip, animal control is notified, and you post him on all the lost pet sites before you give up on finding his home.

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
There is a picture of his back end :).

He may be de-clawed :/. His front paws look a little funny. Check that out and if he is, he should be brought inside as soon as possible. Not that it's really safe for clawed cats out there, but it's way less safe for de-clawed cats.

cookiedough03

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I second the other posts. Male and by his back appearance and for his age looks neutered/castrated. He's friendly, clean, as you mentioned, and there is no ear-tipping, could belong to someone.

On this topic, there was a similar thread a few days ago. Someone with indoor/outdoor neutered cat found their cat shaved and stitched up :( Someone shaved and stitched my cat

kittychick

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
As you’ve learned by now from several of our eagle-eyed members - you’ve been befriended by what appears to be a very handsome young boy (& he does indeed look neutered)! What a pretty boy.

He’s such an attractive boy, and does look well-cared-for, but it’s not a given that he’s not lost, been “picked up & dropped off against his will,” etc. Even if he’s a neighbor’s “indoor/outdoor” boy, I’d at least try to find out WHOSE (& maybe have a friendly chat about the positives of “indoor only” for that beautiful boy) so you at least know where he belongs should anything happen. And since you sound like a wonderfully caring cat lover, if you don’t locate his home, I hope you check with neighbors/local social forums/shelters etc. to make sure he’s not dearly missed by someone! You’ve got wonderful photos to check against on websites — & if someone ‘claims’ him, make sure they can describe him well to you before you let anyone pick him up (sadly, in today’s world, better safe then sorry!).

And since it sounds like you’re developing quite a little colony of stray/etc. kitties in your neighborhood, would anyone be willing to go in & start a group (with you perhaps, since you seem very aware of who's who Kitty-wise & are concerned for their well-being! :redheartpump:) that checks to see who’s “new,” whether they might actually be lost, etc, & makes sure all are fixed, and have, at the very least, consistent shelter, food & water? (It May sound like a lot of responsibility/time/etc——but many of us here care for - or at least watch out for — kitties in our little corner of the world & can help you:petcat:

So nice of you to be so aware and so caring about the kitties in your neighborhood!!!!