New pill hack for those on prescription diet

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Not to say dogs are more 'gullible', but... ;)

I am able to get Feeby to eat her thyroid meds in just a bite of her regular food before 'breakfast'. I can even get her to take another pill she needs at the same time in a partial pill pocket set alongside of that food bite. However, this is not an acceptable approach for her at any other time of day when she is due for meds! I presume a lot has to do with how much of a smell/taste the med might have, which cats seem to be very capable of detecting!! And the size of the 'treat' matters as well, at least with most cats!

I think there are some cats this might work with and others not so much - just like all the other techniques offered. But, hey, it is worth a try for some who think there is a chance it could be the answer!

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This is how Betty and I do meds time. I make a few modifications for her. I pack all her pills into capsules. I don't use a syringe. I microwave a spoonful of Hills A/D for two or three seconds. Not trying to make it warm, I just want to take the refrigerator chill off it. It actually doesn't form around the capsule well if it's warm. I dip and drop the lightly coated capsule onto the carpet--just enough A/D to reward her. Not at all trying to trick her. And she scoops and swallows. This took us weeks or months of diligence to turn lick and flicks into scoops and swallows. As a reward for taking her own capsules, I take a small pinch of the A/D that I didn't use for capsules and smear that atop her food to get a few bites of food in her belly with her meds. I understand that she needs her meds to eat. So I appreciate those few bites that she takes with her meds before the meds have kicked in.

Also, Bunny is adorable! I follow that account on Instagram. As well as a talking cat named Billi (who actually does know more than one word.)

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
daftcat75 daftcat75 that's a lovely way to do it. I so appreciate when we get them opportunity to meet our pets needs in a fear free way.
I've never had to force a pill with Magnus yet. Or Calcifer. But I had to with my late cat. So I am still always trying to learn more ways.

Billie is a fun cat too! She's inspired our button journey with our cats.