New Pet Insurance

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be very easy to run up a $10,000 vet bill. And since the limit is cumulative over a year, I would have been left on the hook for a lot more in Krista’s final years if her coverage were subject to dollar limits. I haven’t priced out Odie. But I would recommend having a look at Trupanion instead. 90% coverage after deductible. No annual or lifetime coverage limits.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

EmersonandEvie

Mom to Evie, Emerson and Dexter
Top Cat
Purraise
It can be very easy to run up a $10,000 vet bill. And since the limit is cumulative over a year, I would have been left on the hook for a lot more in Krista’s final years if her coverage were subject to dollar limits. I haven’t priced out Odie. But I would recommend having a look at Trupanion instead. 90% coverage after deductible. No annual or lifetime coverage limits.
Trupanion wants around $41/month, per pet...we have 3 cats. That's more than I spend on their food.

For an extra $2 or so, Odie ups the coverage to 40k/year. I pray I'll never be in a situation where any of my cats rack up a bill that high.

daftcat75

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Trupanion wants around $41/month, per pet...we have 3 cats. That's more than I spend on their food.

For an extra $2 or so, Odie ups the coverage to 40k/year. I pray I'll never be in a situation where any of my cats rack up a bill that high.
If it’s only $2 more for $40k, I’d get them all $40k coverage so you never have to think, “can I afford that test or procedure or surgery?” Even accidents can set you back $10k. It doesn’t need to be a full on disease process. One of your cats eats a hair tie she can’t pass and that can be a $10,000 surgery (with imaging and incidentals) to get it out of her. If you can afford a $1,000 vet bill today (even if it has to go on a credit card for a short time), then I would recommend maxing out the deductible to get the lowest monthly premiums.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I should have added that my three young cats are insured. Nothing is going to happen to a young cat, right? Especially indoor only? Jamie has already had two ultrasounds and other diagnostics, has early kidney disease and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy which lead us to a cardiologist two weeks ago. Very glad I have insurance.