New Momma

wrightliz05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
my cat just had 4 kittens on Wednesday she’s been doing great nursing all 4 of them but for some reason tonight she moved only 2 kittens..I’m worried that she isn’t producing enough milk for all 4 or something like that..all the kittens seem to be getting what they need because they have been either nursing or sleeping, and the only time I hear them make noise is when momma moves them to adjust herself or when there fighting over a nipple..which is another question I have is that normal or a sign that she isn’t producing enough..I’m new to this so I’ve just been a worry wart since she had them

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Fighting over nipples is pretty normal and nothing to worry about unless the kittens aren’t gaining weight. If mom doesn’t move the remaining two kittens within an hour or so, move them for her. Changing nests usually means that mom is looking a place more secluded or safe in her perception, so make sure the nest is away from children and other pets.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Fighting is quite common.
Sometimes its why momma moves one or two, creating a natural rotation and less fight.

You can do this too if you find it troublesome.

Weighting kittens every day is the easiest way to notice if they gets enough.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

wrightliz05

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She ended up moving the rest herself thank god! and thank you! I’m going to get a scale to start weighing them and making sure there getting enough

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Great! Sometimes mom is deciding if the new spot is good enough, sometimes she is taking a rest and nursing the moved kittens first before moving the rest.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, please do weigh the kittens daily. Is her nest in a quiet room with dim lighting? She might feel disturbed.

Can you keep mom 100% inside and away from intact males?

golondrina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have been able to get to this thread through member StefanZ's profile. When I click on this thread in my mail page I get an error page. What can I do to normalize this thread? Many thanks for any help.

AbbysMom

At Abby's beck and call
Staff Member
Purraise
I have been able to get to this thread through member StefanZ's profile. When I click on this thread in my mail page I get an error page. What can I do to normalize this thread? Many thanks for any help.

It's because it was moved from another forum. :) Any further mails should work OK.