New, Momma Cat Chased Away Resident Cat

michis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone, thank you for reading!
My mother had two female adult cats, both spayed. She found herself adopting a new cat, who was barely a year old perhaps, at the time pregnant. My mom while a cat person isn't big on proper introductions and such, she believes animals just find a way. She also doesn't really have the time but she couldn't find anyone who would take the kitty.
So this cat was and still is very sweet and loving and a huge lap cat. At the time she was shy with the resident cats, while they were quite annoyed by her pressence. They would usually ignore her but if she got close, they would hiss and growl and sometimes swat at her, to which she reacted running away (they all have plenty of space). But then she had her babies and suddenly she was fierce, and starting chasing the resident cats to the very back of our yard even if they hadn't moved towards her. She would just chase them away on sight.
They were all outdoor cats who hung out inside whenever they wanted. The oldest, a lovely and very calm calico cat, used to be inside a lot. But the new one displaced her. Soon the two resident cats were terrified and stopped going near the house. We gave away three of the four kittens, so only one two month old remains, but the mom is still just as aggressive. Then, last week, the calico one disappeared. I go to college elsewhere and came back to this situation. Two days ago while I was away my mom told me the calico cat returned. She fed her and pet her and tried to reassure her (she was perfectly healthy but scared of the other cat) but the next morning she was gone again.
I am hoping she returns soon so I can try to get them to get along, but even if she doesn't we still have the second resident cat who is still afraid of going in the house.
I was wondering what I could do. I've been doing some reading and I wanted to know if maybe introducing them properly at this point maybe could help. Opinions, anyone? Thank you! If the calico one returns I really want to do anything in my power to help her feel at home again.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Yes, I think reintroducing them would make sense. Here's an article that best explains how to do it: How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

I think the mother cat is probably acting aggressive, feeling like she needs to defend the remaining kitten. A Feliway diffuser could help reduce her stress level. This article will explain more in-depth ways that you could help her relax: Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

I hope that helps a little for now. Some other posters will probably be able to tell you more. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! I will definitely give this a try, and am open to any opinions anyone would like to add. Everything helps.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

michis

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Update: my calico angel returned today! She seems calmer and now that I'm here I can take over her care and help her feel safe.