New Mom Sick

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to five healthy kittens four days ago and has been doing geat until today. This morning she had a little diarrhea and a few minutes ago she had diarhea again and threw up one time (clear liquid). Is this normal? Something I should be worried about? I started giving her a little wet kitten food mixed with her normal food three days before she gave birth. Could this be messing with her system?
Thank you

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
No, this is not normal. If she is no better in the morning you need to get her to the vet.

She does not need to get dehydrated while nursing, and she needs extra calcium now too.

I doubt this has to do with the kitten food.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you. I do not thin she has been drinking enough water.... How do I give her extra calcium?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Give her a dish of KMR a day. Get a can of PetAg powdered kitten formula. You can mix the formula with unflavored pedialyte. That way she gets fluids, electrolytes, and calcium.

What wet/dry foods are you feeding her?

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I will do that! So far she has not gotten sick again but I will take her to her vet if there is anything else. I have been mixing her normal dry food (Abound: Salmon & Brown Rice) with wet canned kitten food. I did mix a little water in with that for now and will get the items you mentioned in the morning ( In Texas dealing with Tornado weather...)
Thank you!

miagi's_mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would honestly feed her kitten dry food as well if possible. She needs the extra calories.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
If she reacted to the new food addition, she would do so immediately, not being upset a full week after she began to eat it.

So this is something new, and an asap vet visit is in order.

I agree on suggestions of extra water - pedialyte , extra calcium and more of kitten type food...

If you hadnt buyed the KMR yet, goats milk is nourishing too, and may be cheaper than KMR in powder.

Allyson Watson

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, will get her fixed up in the morning!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Sounds good! Hopefully, she is better today. Keep us posted.