New Mom Needs Help. Please!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Sarthur. That is what I am doing. I don't want to hurt her, but also, I never want her to pass away. I lost one cat already in March. So, I`ll fight for the little one!

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
It sounds like the cat is about 5 or 6 weeks old, size, description and appearance fits.
Kittens this age can be weaned but it takes patience, especially if they are sick.
My 4 year old Babby was allergic to his mothers milk and having seizures I fed him stage 1 baby food, chicken. It's thin, it's fortified and it is simple to digest. It is also inexpensive. Let the baby sniff the food and see if he is interested. He has teeth so he might try to eat right out of the jar or off a spoon so get a baby spoon too. It will be messy and you have to be very patient.

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I`ll try, but the problem is, she doesn't seem interested in food. Any kind. The formula, the chow... She is kind of lethargic, not playful or curious

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You need to call the vet. Something is wrong. And she needs nutrition. Maybe they can put her on a feeding tube.

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Thanks, I`ll try, but the problem is, she doesn't seem interested in food. Any kind. The formula, the chow... She is kind of lethargic, not playful or curious
I don't want to discourage you. Right now you need to give her attention, keep her with you when you aren't doing anything else. Grooming strokes on her face, head and neck with your fingers and try to encourage her as best you can.

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I called them. They said to give her cow's milk and water for constipation and that there is nothing else they can do. I know. I think the same and my heart is breaking. Crying

dahli6

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I called them. They said to give her cow's milk and water for constipation and that there is nothing else they can do. I know. I think the same and my heart is breaking. Crying
You are doing everything you can. Just don't let her be alone. Don't stress her out and don't be stressed out.

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
We just got back from the vet. She passed physical examination with flying colors. She was running around, playing, she can right herself if put on back, claws to escape is she is held by back or front paws, no leakage from eyes.
Malnutrition and constipation are problems.
It looks like she is one of those cats who simply don't like to eat much of anything, so we must be persistent and force feed her. I don't like force, but if it will keep her alive, I`d do anything.
Edit: We will try kitten food until we find what she likes
Thank you all for support, advice and kind words. It means a great deal to me! Love you all!

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Nah, I`m the lucky one, though I am seriously thinking of calling her Lazy-bug or Choosy :D

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Whiskas and Kitekat only :(. But they have turkey and chicken.

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No, for babies there is Hipp, Humana (I grew up on that) and Novalac. I`m from Serbia, as I said backwater country, so tons of things are not sold here. Or available, such as animal hospitals or cat shelters.
That explains my " I Tarzan, You Jane" English. Sorry

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've been reading this thread and your English is fine. :)

Can you find any kitten or cat food in a fish flavour. My friend's new kitten (older than yours) was super skinny when they got him from the shelter and he had little interest in food. They bought all kinds of different flavours and it was the fish ones he finally ate.

cyndane

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks, Rubysmama, for both compliment and advice!
I have been planning to take one small bag of each flavor from Whiskas Junior line. There`s chicken, lamb, duck and rabbit kind of meat with sauce. I`ll go hunting (almost literally) tomorrow :). It`s 11 PM here.
Edit: There are also some Serbian made foods, if Whiskas fails. I`ll try to find fish, too.
Thanks again!