New Mama Cat Whining & Laying On Her Kittens - Help?!

fd_furmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We took in 2 pregnant mama stray cats and one of them had 3 babies early this morning. Since then she has whined about 90% of the time and she keeps laying on her kittens. I keep getting up and moving the babies out from under her but I'm worried she's gonna end up suffocating them. She has plenty of room in her nest but maybe she's just stressed?

The other mama had 2 and she seems perfectly content. I think the 2nd mama might have enough milk to take care of her 2 and the other 3 so should we try putting them with her? She has already seen them and even tried to crawl into the nest with them before we separated them.

Thoughts?

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If the other mom will take them and their mom doesn't object, I'd try it. Some cats just aren't the best mother's. She might also still be in labor and not able to focus on her own kittens.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Agree. 5 kittens is after all not no terrible big litter. Just be sure the momma has good nourishment and some extra calcium source.

Breeders do seldom bother with giving extra calcium for mommas with 5 kittens. But the breeders cats are all wellfed and in excellent condition. With rescued you never know for sure, and the probability is high they are sooner somewhat undernourished... So with a litter of 5, give all the extras too. :)
Goats milk, full fat youghurt, some cheese and or some kmr. Some nice vitamine paste wont hurt either.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What is the whining like? Does she seem in pain?

I agree with putting her babies with the other mom for now. Perhaps the mom will feel better in a couple of days and want her kittens back. If not, she may need a vet check.

Please keep us posted.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

fd_furmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank y'all. What worries me is that maybe the 2nd mama doesn't have enough for 5 but I know the mama of the 3 seems to be super stressed. I can tell she adores her babies though because she checks on them and gets antsy if I have to pick them up for any reason. She seems to be grooming them but I just don't know why she's constantly whining. I've given her canned food, adjusted the temp in the room to make sure it's not too hot or cold and anything else I can think to do. The whining doesn't sound like pain cries, it sounds more like stress.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, she is not accustomed to being contained in a room or burdened with babies, so it is probably stress. She should calm down in a day or two. Even tame new mom cats get stressed. Give her some time. This is all new for her.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You do talk a lot with a friendly voice? Very potent. But dont put on radio with human voices...

You can though, put on some calming music, if you think its stress...

fd_furmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So would the best thing be to put her 3 with the 2nd mama, dubbed Peepers? I'm worried about overloading her but I'm not sure the stressed mama, dubbed Phoebe, can handle the new stress. Peepers also seems to be wanting out of containment - pacing back and forth - but she's not whining, so far, like Phoebe.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How contained are they? Are they in cages? If so, what size are the crates?

They will probably feel better if allowed the run of the room.

Ferals get very stressed when caged. :(

fd_furmama

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They're in extra large dog crates; for dogs 100+ pounds. It's not to where they can have the run of the room yet.