New Mama cat and 3 babies (feral)

bmcmsteve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a small stray/feral cat (probably 4-5 months old) take up residence in our large backyard and last week had 3 little furballs.. She is just a kitten herself and had been a bit aloof. She nested with them under a bush and we had a terrible rain storm and the nest was flooding. She ran to our back door crying and we knew something was wrong. We hurriedly moved each of the babies to our covered porch in a box and covered it with a towel to keep it dark/warm.

Fast forward a week and all are doing well but they are out growing the box and I need to move the babies to a bigger "nest" that I constructed (large dog carrier with soft blankets) but not sure if she will let me move them or will move them herself when she starts to feel cramped. I worry that another thunderstorm will come along with strong winds and blow them away! Any tips?

Once they are 3-4 weeks old, my local shelter will take them ( a no-kill adoption shelter) but guessing they may not take the mama cat (hoping they do).

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
3-4 weeks is far too young to be seperated from mom. Often if seperated that early cats have behavioural issues as adults such as seperation anxiety. Please insist they take mom too.

poolcat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Could you wrap some bricks in a towel and put them in the bottom of the box they're using? Should keep it from blowing away, and might convince her to move the babies into the new nest. It's good of you to care for these cats. ❤ I hope your shelter will spay the mom when she's done nursing.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmcmsteve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. All are doing well and I was able to anchor the "nest". Little furballs opened eyes today...Another 10 days and will attempt to move them all indoors to keep the little ones from roaming the neighborhood. Hope the Mama will adjust to indoor living

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

bmcmsteve

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks. We ended uo having to move them indoors as Mama cat kept moving the babies back to the "death zone" under a bush (that floods when it rains). Mama was none too happy but seems to have adjusted overnight to using a litter box (big win, I think). Getting her used to being a small room and not able to roam outside seems to be the biggest hurdle so far. She has nested the babies back in the nesting box we made for her and all are doing well. Gonna talk to shelter today and see when they will be able to accept them (not sure if they will make us wait until they are done nursing but guessing that is the case). Thanks again for the help/discussion