New kittens

kerrywhite

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! My cat has just given birth (literally early hours of the morning-I think). Bit of a backstory, I went to bed last night thinking my cat was underneath the bed. We woke up to find that she wasn't meowing for breakfast as she does each morning but didn't really think anything off it and thought she would be home after we had finished work. My partner finished work earlier today and so came straight home to hear a slight meow. We have a L shaped cupboard in our flat and he realised that our cat was stuck underneath some christmas boxes that we had been storing. He cleared a pathway to her and noticed that she was in a pink 'gorilla' tub. He picked it up and realised that she had given birth in it. 5 'healthy' kittens. However this tub is barely big enough to fit all 6 of them in and Mumma cat keeps squishing the babies. We called the vet and they said that it's okay to move the kittens. However when we tried Mumma cat got quite distressed and tried picking them back up again, so we put them back in the bucket. Should I just let them get on with it, or try moving again? I do not want to distress the mumma cat but also do not want the kittens to get squished/hurt. I've attached a photo of the space they have :) Thankyou x

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you have another box ready to go? If so, put it right next to where she is and try moving the kittens again. Hopefully, mom will follow and settle down comfortably. Leave the box (for now) next to the cupboard where she had the kittens.

If she still moves them back, try again tomorrow. It can take new moms a couple of days to settle down after giving birth.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
This is not as bad as I first thought it was... Probably a very suitable hole along her thinking....
But it isnt much comfort there, so having a nice box ready nearby will give her a probably welcome alterntive... She may even carry them over herself.