New kittens - what sex?

KittenParadise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone! My lovely cat has had four kittens. They’re six days old and all doing well - growing lots etc!

I’m curious about their sex. Am I right in thinking the black and white one is male, and the rest (one grey and white, two cream) female?

Also, I’ve had cats all my life but this is the first time I’ve had one who gave birth. I would like to keep at least one of the kittens – do any of you have advice on whether mother and son or mother and daughter is a better combination? And if I keep more than one, whether two the same sex or different? (Assuming everyone is neutered in a timely fashion of course!)

Thank you!

Attachments

Peaches&Mango

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Sorry I can’t help much with gender but what I will say is that the two “cream” you mention look like colourpoints to me, seal (black) points. They will darken on their “points” as they grow :) I have a colourpoint myself, he is a cream point however.

As for which gender to keep alongside mum, in my experience it doesn’t matter about gender and more about their individual personalities as with matching any animals. We kept two from my girls litter, one boy and one girl. Mum plays with the girl a lot,considering she was never really play driven it’s nice to see her more playful side now. With the boy, he’s a complete mummy’s boy. He sleeps with her a lot of the time, she grooms him a lot and they’re often together really, they’re very close. So equally they both have a lovely relationship with mum so I would say wait and see which personality fits into the home most, they have a lot of growing to do! They are gorgeous though ❤❤
P.s here’s a pic of my little boy and his mother snuggling!
58A3622D-E794-42A2-8292-8A3FA6A99412.jpeg

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

KittenParadise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sorry I can’t help much with gender but what I will say is that the two “cream” you mention look like colourpoints to me, seal (black) points. They will darken on their “points” as they grow :) I have a colourpoint myself, he is a cream point however.

As for which gender to keep alongside mum, in my experience it doesn’t matter about gender and more about their individual personalities as with matching any animals. We kept two from my girls litter, one boy and one girl. Mum plays with the girl a lot,considering she was never really play driven it’s nice to see her more playful side now. With the boy, he’s a complete mummy’s boy. He sleeps with her a lot of the time, she grooms him a lot and they’re often together really, they’re very close. So equally they both have a lovely relationship with mum so I would say wait and see which personality fits into the home most, they have a lot of growing to do! They are gorgeous though ❤❤
P.s here’s a pic of my little boy and his mother snuggling!
View attachment 434939
What stunning cats they are! Thank you so much for your message. That’s really helpful to know about the dynamics. I’ll wait to see how they all get along as they grow up. Your setup sounds so cute.

Yes, I think you’re right about the colourpoint- thank you! My cat’s mum is a blue point Ragdoll and the father of these kittens was a Siamese (seal point I think!). They are slightly different colours of cream right now and one has a darker nose - so curious to see how they end up!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Do you plan to spay and neuter your cats to prevent future litters?

They are gorgeous! My cat was closest to her daughter, so keep the one or two kittens she favors the most. It will become clear who they are as they become mobile and more independent.

KittenParadise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you Sarthur! I’ll wait to see who she is closest to. Did you keep your cat’s daughter? Any I keep will be spayed/neutered; any going to new homes after their vaccinations would be given under the understanding they would be too, but I will not know for sure I suppose.

Fen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just another opinion for additional confirmation. I Agree with the answers above from Antonio65 and verna davies

Girl, Girl, Boy, Girl

Beautiful little kitties they are! I hope you post more pics as they grow and their colours develop , I know I'd love to see their progress. They're going to be real little show stoppers 😻

KittenParadise

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thought I’d send another update. Just over eight weeks old and so adorable!

Attachments