New kitten

Newkittenneedhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I just got this kitten today as an early birthday present. He’s about 6 and half weeks old and he’s pretty normal. He eats fine and poops normally but he won’t drink milk or water. By milk I mean kitten formula my mom bought at the store. I’m concerned because he only drinks when I use a dropper and put the water or formula in his mouth and even so he’s very mad about that. He also has not peed at all since I got him...what should I do to get him to drink and pee?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
He’s about 6 and half weeks old and he’s pretty normal. He eats fine and poops normally but he won’t drink milk or water. By milk I mean kitten formula my mom bought at the store.
Hi there, firstly, make sure that the milk you are feeding him with is meant for kittens and not any milk formula meant for humans. It must be goat’s milk and the popular brand is KMR milk replacement for kittens.
Secondly, to have your kitten to drink and be kept hydrated, best is feed him with wet food (canned food with real meat in it) and you can add the KMR milk into the wet food. This way, it help aid his immunity and growth form the KMR.

He has not peed is probably due to insufficient water intake. Many cats have a low thirst drive and to be kept hydrated, best is to feed with wet food as wet food keeps them hydrated.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
The kitten is old enough to eat canned. Cats pee mostly morning,mid day and night so as long as he eats canned he will pee later. Fancy feast classics is a good food to start with. Have water bowls scattered around, not just where you feed him. Start with chew toys, balls,coke bottle tops. Anything he can bat around. Have fun! Pictures?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Newkittenneedhelp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Okay so I haven’t had the chance to take him to the vet yet but my mom is worried about him being dehydrated and too thin. How can I tell if he is? I try to weigh him but he won’t hold still so it’s really hard and I’m not sure if I’m getting the correct numbers or not. He is drinking on his own and he has wet kitten food three or four times a day and I don’t see any irregularities in his stools or his urine so I’m pretty sure he’s okay.

also sorry I seem like a noob pet owner 💀 I’ve had several cats in the past but they were all adopted as adults so the whole kitten thing is new to me and it’s very different from a puppy

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Just continue feeding him as much wet food as he wants up to six times a day. Make sure he has dry kitten chow and fresh water and he should be fine.