New Kitten

Yinbasic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've gotten a new kitten today that is named Pumpkin, with her being six weeks old.
I made a terrible mistake of putting her right in front of my other cats, which I have another three.
I am more particularly concerned about my oldest, who is nine years old, named JoJo.
JoJo used to cuddle with me each night, and follow me around. She just loved me.
But I introduced her to the kitten, and she is totally different.

She hisses at the kitten even if she's in her sight. She just hates her, and doesn't care how far she is. If she sees her, she growls.
JoJo acts different towards me now too! Everytime I pet her, she hisses at me. If I move, she growls. It feels like she hates me now. JoJo acts this way towards our other two cats too, Kitty and Momo.
Momo is two years old, and we've had her around a year.
Kitty is four years old, and we've had him his whole life. He was able to get used to Momo and JoJo, so I don't have too many concerns with him and the kitten.

And Pumpkin (the kitten) is attached to me already. She plays with my hair, with my fingers, and loves to play. I'm trying to get her to sleep in a cat bed, and not on my bed so JoJo can come back.. but it's just not happening.

I know JoJo is an old cat, but I'm so worried that she hates me now for rushing introductions. I know I shouldn't of, but I got really excited. It's been a day or two, so she probably needs time, but what can I do to make her get used to me again?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. If it's only been a day or 2, hopefully JoJo will get back to her normal self. How long did it take JoJo to get used to Kitty and Momo when you adopted them?

Is the kitten now in a different room, separated from the other cats? Here's the TCS article on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction.

Plus Introducing Cats To Cats & How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

And a few on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And though I'm sure JoJo doesn't hate you, here's one more article where 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Yinbasic

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. If it's only been a day or 2, hopefully JoJo will get back to her normal self. How long did it take JoJo to get used to Kitty and Momo when you adopted them?

Is the kitten now in a different room, separated from the other cats? Here's the TCS article on How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction.

Plus Introducing Cats To Cats & How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

And a few on stress:
Is Your Cat Stressed Out?
Potential Stressors In Cats - The Ultimate Checklist
Six Surefire Strategies To Reduce Stress In Cats

And though I'm sure JoJo doesn't hate you, here's one more article where 14 Cat Experts Reveal: How To Get A Cat To Like Me
JoJo was the new one to the family, the third cat.
She took about a couple weeks getting used to Kitty and Momo, getting along with Momo faster.
Usually they are, as JoJo is under a bed, while the kitten is playing around with me.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'll add one more article to that very good list.

Do Cats Get Jealous? (and What To Do About It When They Do)

This can happen. It can be good. Just remember that really successful cat introductions have been known to take weeks, occasionally months to really "gel." You HAVE TO BE VERY PATIENT, and to remember that you cannot go any faster than the pace of the most reluctant cat.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would add 2 things. 1 the kitten is very very young to be separated from her family. Ideally she would be with her brothers/sisters/mom until 12 weeks. So be sure to put her in a kitten proof room when you are not there. Because she is so very young I would give her your bedroom so she doesn't have to sleep alone. It also means you need to watch the other cats with her closely and hope one of your cats adopts her. if she is sleeping alone try turning the heat up in that room or closing all the vents. She will cry if she is alone.
2 You can try washing your hands before you try petting your cat. She may be hissing at you because you smell like an intruder.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Also, when cats get stressed, they are stressed and in defense mode. They are not like "oh there is my human, now I am happy". Instead they are like "something entering my space, attack!" It doesn't mean your cat doesn't like you any more. Its the same if your cat smell an animal outside -- if you try to pick up to comfort, your getting scratched no matter how much kitty loves ya. This is called redirected aggression.